We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

Hi all.

I have 5 days on my own in the Krabi area after travelling with Family in February.

Think it is difficult to choose between just staying at Krabi/Ao Nang or going to Lanta. Lanta looks amazing! My idea is to mailny just relax on a Beach, going on a few Island trips and days trips. I don't mind it being quiet, but not too secluded though. Is it a good and safe place for a young woman to relax? Any recommendations on good islands for snorkeling?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

I am in koh lanta now & travelling solo. It's safe & never felt uneasy. There are areas on the main area that is dark but there's taxis that can take u anywhere around the island. I thought krabi/ ao nang rather strange & I felt uneasy with the male stares & too secludedness of some areas.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

Thank you so much for helping:-)

Can i ask you where on Koh Lanta did you stay?

And what day trips can you recommend? I am still in doubt about going, if it is to much trouble compared to mainland. But the sunsets of Lanta look stunning.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

Since it was peak season, I had to move 4 times so I stayed in Klong Dao, Klong Nin, & near Saladan Pier. I would suggest book two accommodations so u can experience the area in the north near the pier then further south like Klong Nin. I relied on tuk tuk & it was the best strategy.

They have their own vibe & there's shops & places to eat. U have a choice of those on the beach, near the main road but a short walk to beach, or on the hill. Up to u on where u want to stay & cost. I really liked staying near Long beach as you can visit Saladan at night & walk around the shops & bazaar. Long beach was lovely beach of white sand & blue water.

There's a lot of accommodations in Klong Nin as it's also a very long stretch of beach. Visit Katiang Beach from here. It's a small beach but so quiet as there only a handful of resorts but very lovely beach & water.

I did the 4 islands & Koh Rok. If I knew I would skip 4 islands & just do Koh Rok! So pretty & pristine. Loved it so much. 4 islands was cool but there was just too many tours & people doing same tours. Plus for some reason the water had so many jellyfish that it wasn't fun to swim or snorkel in.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

Thanks for all the great info!

I have now booked for 4 days at Lanta Castaway Resort (Think it is at Long Beach).

Then I will do a one day tour to either Koh Rok or Koh Haa, which also looks amazing. And just enjoying the sunsets and relaxing.

After that I will probably go to Ao Nang to meet up with some Family. Last year I went to Langkawi alone for 3 days - It was ok but I choose a place to quiet for me. (No restaurants or anything around).

Ko Lanta, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

I've been on Koh Lanta for about 5 days now on my own.

Kantiang Bay is super friendly and safe, I go snorkeling every day and chill out with the live music down at Why Not Bar on the beach. The fire shows are fun & the staff are hilarious.

Like chiqee I did both the 4 island tour & the Koh Rok tour. Koh Rok is stunningly beautiful, you should not miss that one (even at 1700B). I also enjoyed the 4 island tour, Koh Ngai is stunning and the Emerald Cave is one-of-a-kind.

Koh Rok would be my recommendation for snorkeling, if you make it down to Kantiang Bay there is a secret little beach (next one south) called Ao Noi (or something similar) which is really nice and quiet. Head out to the rocky area on the right during the day and you'll see loads of fish.

I'm studying for my open water and heading out to Koh Haa on Wednesday, I hear that is the best for scuba and the pics look amazing.

The name of the place I'm staying is Top View Resort, but all the hotels around Kantiang Bay are nice & safety down here will not be an issue in the least.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

Thanks a lot Peter!

I am looking forward even though I am only staying a short while.

Is it possible you can give me feedback after yout Koh Haa trip?

Still haven't decided between that and Koh Rok for a day tour snorkeling :)

Will be staying there around February 18th.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
50 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

Hi TropicanoGirl,

I have been to both Koh Rok (1 time) and Koh Haa (maybe 10-15 times). The trips to Koh Rok are more tailored for snorkelers and most of the trips to Koh Haa are meant for scuba divers, although you can always tag along for snorkeling as well (My GF did this a few years ago, and she's still talking about it).

I must also mention that when I went to Koh Rok (beginning of High Season a few years back), the boat and the beaches/snorkeling sites, were completely packed. But the islands are very nice. Especially the large lizards on the big island are cool.

You might want to follow one of the many Dive Centers out to Koh Haa for a Discover Scuba Course. You'll get a couple of proper 30 minutes dives down to around 8-10 meters in the fantastic lagoon with an instructor/divemaster. Between the Dives, you can lie on the beach, or chill at the boat. Be aware, that this is highly addictive.

There are a few dive centers on Long beach, but my absolute favorite is Flip Flop Divers, just 100 meters down the main road from Castaway. It's a fantastic bunch, and I'll be going down to dive with them for the third time in a year this March (sixth time in total). I'm sure they will hook you up with either Discover Scuba or just snorkeling on Koh Haa.

Enjoy Lanta.

singapore
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

Hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread. I have a related question- if I only have one free day on Lanta, should I head to Ko Rok, or shld I check out the southern part of the island? I will be staying at Klong Dao, and unfortunately don't feel safe on a scooter, so will have to get to the southern part via tuk tuk or bicycle.

I only hv 2 full days on Lanta (arriving in the evening, leaving at noon on the 4th day), and thought I'd spend 1 of the full days checking on long beach/klong dao (where I will be staying) and the animal welfare centre.

I am keen on ko rok as I heard the beaches are amazing and so is the snorkelling. My travelling companion isn't a huge fan of snorkelling though... so I was wondering if checking out the southern beaches instead of going for a full blown island shopping/snorkelling trip would be better?

What do you guys think? Thanks so much in adv!

9. Re: Travelling alone to Koh Lanta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 22, 2015