We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Lanta - other options besides scooters?

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Lanta - other options besides scooters?

Everyone seems to be saying the way to get around Ko Lanta is on a scooter. Yet in our case we have no international drivers license or motorcycle license, only a US regular drivers licence. And little to no experience driving a scooter. Plus the giving up your passport, no real insurance provided, chance for accidents and scams I've read about make it seem like a very bad idea for us.

What are the other options? Is renting a regular self-powered bicycle an option? I ride a bike often at home to get around town but I don't see this mentioned much in the forums so not sure if this is done. If not a bicycle, is it just tuk-tuks then?

Thank you to anyone with information.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Lanta - other options besides scooters?

I do no recommend you to drive scooters without any experience. First, you're not used to left hand side driving, no experience to drive motorbikes and the traffic in Thailand is very treacherous. If you decide against my advise, never give your passport as security and assure, you're properly insured in case of accidents. Remember, the next decent hospital is 4-5 hours drive away from Lanta ! Most insurance company deny coverage if you drive a vehicle without any license.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Lanta - other options besides scooters?

I agree with you on all those points! Thats why I asked what other options there are to get around besides a scooter... :) What about a bicycle?

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
149 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Lanta - other options besides scooters?

You can always rent a small car. Bicycles are becoming popular. But I do not recommending riding at night. BTW, Thai drivers have complete disregard for bicycle riders and treat them like pedestrians. You might that being treated like a pedestrian is good, not in Thailand. Pedestrians are treated horribly by drivers. So please be careful.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Lanta - other options besides scooters?

Great info, thanks so much. Do you know if car rentals have as many issues as I've heard scooter rentals do with insurance being useless, rental places 'inventing' scratches, etc. ?

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
149 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Lanta - other options besides scooters?

Car Rentals don't have that many issues. Best thing to do is ask for insurance, if not take pictures of the car before heading out.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Lanta - other options besides scooters?

I would just rent a small car, we always drive to Koh Lanta from Phuket and its great having the car, especially during those sudden downpours etc. Very easy island to drive around :)

Cathy

7. Re: Getting around Lanta - other options besides scooters?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 07, 2014