We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Lanta to Langkawi in one day?

Dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Lanta to Langkawi in one day?

Hi, I will be looking to travel from Koh Lanta to langkawi later this week. I want to go by bus and ferry (not the high-speed ferry). As I see it, I have 2 options - book a package that will take me from koh Lanta to langkawi including all of the transfers, or I can try do it myself (my preferred option) by getting the ferry to Trang, local bus to Satun and ferry to langkawi.

My question is whether this is feasible in one day if I do it myself? I will be travelling on the day that my Thai visa expires, so I can only proceed with this option if I can actually make it to langkawi on the same day.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the above in particular from anyone who has completed this journey before! Thanks in advance

nowhere
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Lanta to Langkawi in one day?

http://tigerlinetravel.com/timetable/

Dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Lanta to Langkawi in one day?

Thank you, but I believe that is the information for the high speed ferry? I will not be going with this option. I wanted to know whether it is possible to organise all of the elements of travel on my own and complete the journey in one day, when taking into consideration delays in bus departures, transiting between drop off points and departure points.

The last boat leaves satun for langkawi at 4pm and I need to find out if it is possible to get from Koh Lanta to satin by 4pm. I will be leaving Koh Lanta on the 8am boat to trang with a bus connection.

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Lanta to Langkawi in one day?

Hi,

I realise you want to do a combination of land and sea transport, but the Tigerline boat that leaves Ko Lanta at 10am and gets to Langkawi by 6pm is not a high speed ferry, rather sedate in fact.

Cheers

Piatra Neamt...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Lanta to Langkawi in one day?

@orlac2, I'd be really interested to know if you managed to make the Koh Lanta - Langkawi trip in one day. I'll make the same trip in November and I'm reluctant to book the tigerline ferry as of yet, before exploring other options.

BTW, how much is a package taking care of all the transfers? The TigerLIne ferry is ~2600 THB (~80$) - pretty steep.

Please share your experience with us. Cheers!

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Lanta to Langkawi in one day?

It's easy to go to Tammalang boat pier for the Langkawi boat from Sala Dan Ko Lanta and make the 4 p.m. boat. You can book a package with any of the agents in SaladanTown. You leave at 8 a.m. on mini van to Trang. You transfer at Trang to another vehicle, taxi or bus (depending on number of passengers) and then that vehicle takes you the remainder of the way to Tammalang boat pier. It's easier to do it on the package deal than doing it yourself, because if you do it yourself, you'll get the same mini van to Trang, connect from the mini van drop to the bus station South of town and from there, you'll take a bus to Satun and finally local transportation to the Pier. I booked a package transfer KoLanta/Langkawi for about 1000 BHT. The cost of mini van, bus and boat plus local connections would be equal to that. There was only one problem I encountered along the way. We were three passengers traveling by taxi from the mini van drop off point in Trang. The next vehicle was a taxi which was fine because there only three of us. The problem was the driver. He dropped us 58 KM from Tammalang Pier at a sorng-ta-ou station, paid the driver of the STO to take us the rest of the way to the pier. We missed the 1:30 p.m. boat which what I had been promised. We did get the 4 p.m. boat. This is the first unethical practice on the part of anyone in the tourism industry I have encountered in Thailand. What I should have done: refused to get out of the taxi at the STO station, called the travel agent and let her straighten out the issue with the taxi driver. Maybe this bit of advice will save someone the inconvenience I suffered.

6. Re: Koh Lanta to Langkawi in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 22, 2014