We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in May

My husband and I are visiting Thailand end of April to mid May 2013. I know we havent chosen the 'ideal' month in terms of weather but will we see sun in Ko Lanta then or will we be drenched by monsoons every day?

We were hoping to visit nearby islands like Yum and Phi Phi but read online elsewhere the tours and boats are unlikely to run due to choppy seas.

Any advice would be appreciated. We could divert our trip elsewhere if this be the case but Ko Lanta looks wonderful!

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
799 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in May

It will be hard to predict but here is a picture of what it was like last year:

wunderground.com/history/…calendar

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in May

Mid April last year was great, then a few showers into May (mainly evening or late afternoon). the last couple of years there have been waves for a few days at that time as it is the start of the surf season.The ferries to Phi Phi ran all year last year, and only cancelled a few days for weather (that was a big strorm). I think that time of year is great, next to no tourists and beaches to yourself. I am not sure about ferries to Koh Jum, as the timetables start to change as demand drops. It is no different weather to Phi Phi, or Phuket and gets a worse report than what it is like.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in May

The earlier you go the better the weather will be, it was good up until the last week of May last year but in general the weather is better on the Gulf side in May.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in May

It will be hot, hot, hot and you'll welcome any shower to chill down

Birmingham, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in May

As the others say it can be mixed but if you do get a shower it can be a welcome relief and normally is very quick. We have been at different times during May and at the end of the month it can be more mixed. It is quite a quiet month but we like it like that. You will love the island anyway.....

6. Re: Weather in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 03, 2014