We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

Oslo, Norway
11 posts
Save Topic
What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

Can anyone help me with what daytrips we can do with a 8 month old baby? We really like to do some trips where we can both lay on the beach under some trees, and do snorkeling right of the beach. Is this possible at Koh Rok or Koh Kradan f.ex? Can we go with a longtailboat there? Would think that speedboat is no good for a baby...

Which travel agencies/ "boat agencies" are recommended?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,777 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

Are you sure your baby can take the heat on the beach? Do you plan to travel during the hottest months (March-April)?

Are you breastfeeding? Otherwise you will be preparing milk formula on the beach without being able to boil water.. There may also be no good sanitary facilities when the time comes for changing diapers.

Our baby was born and has been growing up mostly in Thailand, and in that age he clearly could not always stand the heat well without air conditioning. As a result, all our trips have been planned so that there was the possibility of quickly accessing air conditioning if the heat became too much. Day trips as part of a big group with a regimented schedule without any chance of early return seemed like a bad risk until he was over 2 years old.

Oslo, Norway
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

We'll be going now in january. I'm breastfeeding.I was thinking more like a private trip where we can go back when we want to. And we will of course stay at koh lanta our first days to see how the baby is dealing with the heat. I'm wondering what companies are "safe" to use? Or would you not recommend we do such daytrips as described?

North Pole
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

If you`re afraid that a longtail trip out in the open sea is to risky with a small baby, you can instead do it along Koh Lanta westcoast from Klong Dao/Kaw Kwang. There are many lovely beaches to discover from the seaside all the way down to the lighthouse (the national park) at the south tip of the island. But many of the big casuarina trees and palms behind the beaches are surrounded by bush or high grass instead of sand, and not good for bare foots. Thus a small lightweight baby shelter (tent) or sunbrella can be handy to bring in case there isn`t a beach restaurant under a roof nearby.

It is also very nice to drive south by car/tuk-tuk instead of boat.

There are several travel agents in Saladan and Klong Dao that can arrange trips by land or boat. I am sure your hotel can recommend someone, too.

Oslo, Norway
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

Thank you for your help Margana. I would not say that we are scared to go over to the islands, but we would rather go with someone with a good reputation than a bad one ;) We have friends who have done daytrips by longtailboat from Phuket, and it sure looks nice! So we really like to try at least ones(if everything is ok with baby of course), and would love to go to Koh Rok if we find this possible. You are right, I'm sure our hotel can help us find a good agency for our trip if we decide to go.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

Whilst Koh Rok Nok is a great snorkeling destination I would advise against it with a baby.

The speedboat trip takes an hour to get there and can be quite rough. People often being thrown about in the boat and jarring on the spine. Without being too personal, I would imagine that a breast feeding mother would require a "sports bra" for the trip.

Oslo, Norway
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

Hi hi, good to know ;) Are there other beautiful islands (with snorkeling) we can go instead? Using a longtailboat instead of speedboat? That boattrip doesn't sound like something I would do with my baby...

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

Not sure what other areas you will be visiting but there are plenty of island hopping and exploring opportunities closer to Krabi.

We found some lovely beaches down the South end of Lanta, excellent for swimming and lazing about. Shade is always an issue and concern with a young one.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

Any ocean going activity with a baby carries potential dangers, irrespective of how 'reputable' the operator is. Why wouldn't you simply organise a nanny for the day of your proposed snorkelling trip? Why take unnecessary risks with your baby for the sake of your own fulfilment?

Cheers

Oslo, Norway
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

Nanny is s good idea, but difficult for us because I'm breastfeeding every third hour. Probably will my husband go snorkeling alone. I've heard there is a little reef around Kaw Kwang so I'll guess I'll try that instead and hope I see a fish or two ;) And maybe do a little trip by longtailboat further south just to see a little more than Khlong Dao. Thank you guys for the advices.

10. Re: What day trips can we do with baby 8 month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 10, 2014