We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moped/scooter rental

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
79 posts
Moped/scooter rental

I was looking to rent a moped or small scooter as I think bicycling may be a bit much in the heat even if I am fairly fit, lots of hills I think ?

But it seems everywhere I look they are all talking about moterbikes, and I am not lisened to drive one of those.

Is there not anywhere to rent a moped or small moped-like scooter, or is it just that they don't distinguish ?

also would most places be accessible on one of these (especially thinking on the very soouth lighthouse and national park area) ?

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
1. Re: Moped/scooter rental

you can rent small scooters anywhere there theres thousands of them

ask your hotel if they rent them out

don,t give up p/port to any renter

if ur not experienced don,t go on them

its very dangerous there

u can run into allsorts if problems big time if u have an accident or a thai national,s involved

look at the faq,s top right

or use the search facility

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
2. Re: Moped/scooter rental

when people talk about motorbikes or motorcycles in Thailand they are talking about mopeds/scooters. What we class as a motorbike or larger engined bike in Europe they call "big bikes" in Thailand.

Even for a scooter you still require an IDP and motorcycle entitlement on your home countries driving license. You will not have a problem finding a place to rent without the correct license....but there will be issue's with insurance etc if you have an accident. You just have to decide if its worth the risk?

If you have an accident you will have to have plenty of "tea money" to give the local police to get you out of trouble

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
79 posts
3. Re: Moped/scooter rental

sorry what is an IDP ?

I have a normal drivers lisence for car, but that is it ?

we dont need anything else to drive a moped here

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Moped/scooter rental

Read this and then decide what's best for you;

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
5. Re: Moped/scooter rental

good link fourb2, says it all

apparently 38 people die per day in thailand, in road accidents--- i think ,on m/cycles alone

heres a link

www.thailandmagic.com/Thai-Motorcycle.htm

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
6. Re: Moped/scooter rental

An IDP is an International Driving Permit

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
669 posts
152 reviews
7. Re: Moped/scooter rental

many places will rent a scooter to you. Most of them are under 150cc.

If you have never driven one before, and you are not familiar with the local driving habits, I wouldn't recommend. The road towards the southern end is bad and it's hilly in some parts. It's not for novice driver.

Also check your travel insurance to see if you are still covered if you rent a scooter.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Moped/scooter rental

Hey,

Was on Koh Lanta in Jan 2011, and hired a scooter from my accommodation for 900 B for the day. it looked fairly new, and once I got the hang of it, it was great. Rode right down to the National Park, but must agree the roads are a little bit rough down there, and I wouldn't attempt it if it had been raining.

Cheers

Edited: 11:50 pm, February 02, 2011
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
9. Re: Moped/scooter rental

you got stiffed intrepid -900bht!!! for 1 day!

it should have been no more than 250-300 bht

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,577 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: Moped/scooter rental

agree with Andy going rate is 250-300 or maybe 350 if rented from some resorts