We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical weather late Sept/Oct

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Typical weather late Sept/Oct

I appreciate the unpredictable nature of weather forecasting, but what is late Sept early October usually like

Koh Lanta, Krabi...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical weather late Sept/Oct

Hello,

Basically, when it rains, it only rains for about half an hour at most. Sometimes 5 mins, sometimes more...

Sept and Oct are still in the low/green season...which really is only "low" because European tourists and travellers normally come here in between November and April, with most people enjoying Christmas and New Year. The weather can be just as good as the high season. The only difference is that there are small tropical storms which come from the Indian Ocean direction and move quickly over south Thailand. When I say quickly, I mean quickly. Most storms don't even drop rainfall on Koh Lanta (Koh Lanta has less median monthly rainfall than Krabi or Phuket), and precipitate in the ocean, and we only feel the wind as the storm starts to drop rain on the horizon.

When it does rain on the island, it is very localized. Sometimes I can be in Klong Dao, driving towards the south of the island, and it is raining in Klong Khong....drive back up and it is dry....and vica versa of course....when it rains it does come down heavy, which is why it only lasts a short time.

It is very rare for it to rain more than three days. The weather forecast normally predicts bad storms for two full weeks in advance (I laughed at this, before they added the ~chance of rainfall percentage~ to their websites for longer than a week forecasts), BUT we normally only end up getting it for a couple of days.....and very, very intermittent. It can be more cloudy as it gets into the afternoon, and there may be a slight shower or two (cools things down, gets very hot during the days). Nothing too much.....and definitely not enough to destroy an otherwise bargain priced holiday in the off season.

You can still get two hours or more of tanning, up to 4 hours or more of driving/sightseeing, and you can still go diving etc etc even on a rainy day. Sunny and fine days of course, you have the ability to bake like a lobster on the sand all day long....

The sea can be a little choppier, and not as clear or glass-like as in the high season (where I am - Klong Dao - is a shallow bay like Phi Phi), but some may prefer a few waves - good for body surfing. The beaches are still nice (in areas where they are cleaned often), and at times the sky can be much more blue and clearer than high season, as the breeze clears up the sky. Stars are more noticeable at night time in the low/green season also.

Basically all the above text can be summed up to "Tropical Weather".

You will be fine. Enjoy the discount over the "high season", take in a few showers from the sky, go sightseeing, drink some cocktails and enjoy yourself....

Koh Lanta, Krabi...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical weather late Sept/Oct

P.S. I forgot to mention....

This green season the weather has been much nicer than last green season....

Full Sunny and Hot days: 70%

Intermittent Rainy Days: 30%

This is an approximation, since the beginning of the low season, May 1st.

It has been great so far....

Enjoy :-)

3. Re: Typical weather late Sept/Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 21, 2010