We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Lanta - best area/beach/accommodation

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Ko Lanta - best area/beach/accommodation

Hi

Have finally decided to visit Ko Lanta (mid Nov) over Kho Lak, but are now struggling with what area (ie beach) and what accommodation to stay at.

Love great beaches, but also like there to be somewhere to go at the night time, hawker stalls & a few bars to have a drink, shops to be book diving & trips etc.

As Ko Lanta is our longest stay, we would really like this to be our best accommodation during our whole trip (boutique style if we can up to £70 a night?), but all I keep finding is individual bungalows, and the safety aspect keeps getting in my way of booking them

Please help

Sarah

Koh Lanta, Krabi...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Lanta - best area/beach/accommodation

What is your definition of "individual bungalows"?

And what are your guidelines for the "best accommodation"?

Basically, what exactly are you looking for, and what beach are you looking at?

Saladan and Klong Dao, North Long Beach, Phra Ae, Khlong Kong, Klong Nin, and Kantiang all have some form or shopping, markets, bar, restaurants etc around the resort and bungalow establishments within walking distance... With more action being in the north.

70 pounds is what... about 150 AUD....or about 3500 Baht approximately...

Do you have kids?

Do you require absolute beachfront?

Need a pool?

Maybe I can help?

australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Lanta - best area/beach/accommodation

I'm also interested in finding the best area to stay. I love bungalows. AncientRealm, which part of Koh Lanta would be the equivalent of Patong in Phuket (where the main action is/lots of restaurants/lots of shopping/things to do)? We're in Patong for 12 nights over Christmas and thought we'd head over to Koh Lanta for one or two nights to see something different. Any suggestions?

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,861 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Lanta - best area/beach/accommodation

Basically, most accommodation on the Thai islands except for Phuket is individual bungalows. You may see a picture of some kind of posh lobby, but behind it is invariably a group of individual bungalows. Partially this has to do with local regulations limiting the height of buildings to two stories.

The appointments of the bungalows, proximity to the beach and other bungalows, landscaping, and available amenities set the different price points. There are not really any safety issues.

Koh Lanta is basically laid out along a long road lined by various commercial enterprises, with beach resorts on the one side down mostly unpaved lanes, and some cheaper groups of bungalows without beach proximity on the other.

For shops, you pretty well have to grab a tuktuk or a songthaew into Saladan village. There are cafés and bars aplenty in the beach areas and along the road. Not much in the way of food stalls, but a few informal Thai-style, non-touristy restaurants.

My recommendation? Try Relax Bay, but when you dine, go to Bao's next door.

4. Re: Ko Lanta - best area/beach/accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 10, 2009