We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Topic
How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

Hi everyone,

My mum, sister and I are staying in Koh Lanta for two nights in Feb 09. We have narrowed it down (like most others) to Layana or Pamalai. I've read that the best beaches (white sand/clear water) are in the south of Lanta which made us lean towards Pamalai. Then we learned that the entertainment is on Long beach (closer to Layana) and we would also be interested in checking this out on one ouf our nights. If we stayed at Pimalai, how long would it take us to get to Long beach in the evening?

I really don't know which resort to choose. Current reviews don't seem to be helping. It appears Layana is better value for money but the beach really looks grand down south. Is the beach just as nice near Layana?

Cheers in advance.

=)

Malvern, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

I have stayed at Pimalai and it is a long way away from Long Beach. Although the beach at Pimalai is nice, it is not as awesome as it looks in the pics (although been from Australia the Aussie beaches are heaps better), personally we spent more time near the pool.

Looking at going again next year and are thinking this time we will save some money and stay at Layana.

UK
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

Hey there,

Thanx for the post.

I'm originally from OZ too and I know we have great beaches! I still haven't seen a beach that compares to our Whitehaven!!

The beach looks perfect in Pimalai in the pics...shame it's not the same in real life! Might stick to Layana since its closer to the entertainment. Also, we're only staying two nights so it would probably be good to be close to the ferry to avoid wasting travel time since our stop after koh lanta is phuket.

Thanx heaps.

Fiona

=)

Malvern, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

Fiona, don't get me wrong, the beach is nice, although when I was there the water was not clear, it was more cloudy. Pimalai is great, but you pay for it. You would not be disappointed, however, I think you could almost have just as good a time at Layana while saving some dollars. Just my opinion.

lanta
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

layana or langham palace is the places that will keep you close to entertainment but still really nice hotels.

i would go for layana!

or perhaps a private villa?

lantabalicom

enjoy!

koh lanta
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

two nights on lanta,its not enough realy.Stay at layana,and pop up to the pimalai on the second night,then you can cover long beach,klong nin and the beach at the pimalai,and you get the boat from the beach at layana back to krabie.any people on a budget can go to thai house on long beach and spend 500 baht top and 200 cheap and have the same view.

scotland
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

Fiona.

I would stay at Layana the beach is gorgeous too.

The food was yummy too and you are near enough to some nightlife. Pimali is on a lovely beach but a long way from long beach. Layana also seems to get better reviews. Langham Place is great too with yummy food but only a small beach in front.

Ottershaw, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

Hi Fiona,

We stay on Lanta for 2-3 weeks every year and if you're looking for the entertainment, which is very tame on Lanta (predominently a Muslim community), and involves a few beach bars and restaurants which are really good and will stay open for as long as you want to party, you need to be on Long Beach. Both Layana and Pimalai are a quite a way from Long Beach (Phra-Ae) and aren't really "Thailand" as such, they are like any other 5 star resort you stay in anyway! We stay in bungalows on Long Beach, which is cheaper and roughing it a bit at LD Bungalows (http://www.sandybeachlanta.com/) which has a range of types of accommodations, from very basic bamboo huts to aircon/fridge/TV bungalows. Lanta Sand Resort and Spa is a bit more upmarket, but not as upmarket (or nearly as expensive) as Pimalai or Layana (http://www.lantasand.com/main.asp).

The other beaches are ok on Lanta, but this is only really the sandiest one, with as you say, most of the entertainment!

Good luck with the search and enjoy Lanta, you'll never want to leave!!

Louisa

8. Re: How far is the "action" on long beach from Pimalai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 01, 2009