We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amritsar + Wagah ceremony + Golden Temple stay

Which Amritsar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Amritsar + Wagah ceremony + Golden Temple stay

Good afternoon,

I'd like to know if it possible to do Amritsar (Golden Temple, Jallianwala Bagh, Mata temple, Sri durgiana temple, ram bagh) + Wagah Ceremony in one day-shot.

Also, I heard that the Golden Temple is better to visit it a dawn (7am?)

Also, I'd like to have some information on sleeping in the Golden Temple. I'd be with someone else, but I heard that there are some kind of apartments for foreigners (dorms with private bathrooms) in the Temple complex... is that right? and if so, would it be safe to leave our backpacks inside?

Thanks for your info!

Cheers

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,845 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amritsar + Wagah ceremony + Golden Temple stay

liv u

The mentioned places are doable in one day. After breakfast, start with Golden Temple > Durgiana Mandir > Jalianwala Bagh Lunch Break. Start at 3 p.m. for Wagha Border, back to hotel by 7 p.m.

Sorry, I don't have information about the accommodation inside Golden Temple.

Edited: 6:37 am, March 14, 2012
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amritsar + Wagah ceremony + Golden Temple stay

sure it's possible to cover the listed attractions in 1 day, IF you start with the b'ful early morning rituals (like taking the Holy Book to the Temple) & wonderful prayers at Golden Temple, and ending at dusk ceremony at Wagah Border (& then onto some Shopping & the brilliant Amritsari Food)

The Golden Temple Trust runs not 1 or 2, but 7 Inns, so accommodation there won't be a problem (unless your visit coincides with some Religious Festivals)

check goldentempleamritsar.org/…20amritsar.html

www.goldentempleamritsar.org/index.html

This may not be the official Golden Temple Website

ATB ☬ ☮

Edited: 6:58 am, March 14, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amritsar + Wagah ceremony + Golden Temple stay

Thanks for the info guys!

Just another and final question... how much should it be by rickshaw and pre-paid taxi from the airport to Amritsar?

Thanks!!

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,845 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amritsar + Wagah ceremony + Golden Temple stay

Amritsar airport to city - Taxi fare would be around Rs.400.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amritsar + Wagah ceremony + Golden Temple stay

you will have to leave early as it may take some time to visit all the temples that you want to see - although Amritsar is not a very big city .

for the border you will have to hire a cab on return basis in the evening and by 4 PM you should leave for the border

the best time to visit the golden temple is at 5 AM early morning

6. Re: Amritsar + Wagah ceremony + Golden Temple stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, June 18, 2013