We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip's ideas from Amritsar

PL
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
One day trip's ideas from Amritsar

Hello,

Please, give me a piece of advice where can I go for a one day trip (else than Wagah border)?

I have one spare day in Amritsar and I do not have idea what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Mat

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
771 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip's ideas from Amritsar

Hi there

I am presuming you have two days in Amritsar

Day 1: Plan to devote atleast 2-3 hours at the Golden temple. While in the complex volunteers will guide you through the history of the temple and Sikhism. Do make it a point to have the 'langar' - the holy food that's prepared at a grand scale everyday. I would recommend coming back to the temple once again in the evening when it is lit up for a completely different experience. Linger around shops right outside the temple for souvenirs or visit the local bazaars to pick up jootis (local emroidered footwear), shawls or Phulkari duppatas (veils with tradional embroidery from Punjab - makes excellent wall hangings and throws)

Day 2 - Visit the Panaroma of Maharaja Ranjit Singh in Ram Bagh. To quote - "The panorama takes the visitors through six battles fought by Maharaja Ranjit Singh, including the seizure of Lahore Fort, Kangra, Attack, Multan, Kashmir and Peshawar.

Besides this, visitors get to know the childhood of the Maharaja, his marriage and capturing of “Zam Zama canon”. A view of the Maharaja overseeing the gold plating of Harmandir Sahib, recreated at the panorama, stands out."

I personally haven't been here (only managed Golden Temple on my last trip) but the Panaroma sounds very promising.

In the evening you could travel out of the city for the Wagah border ceremony.

2. Re: One day trip's ideas from Amritsar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, September 28, 2009