We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

Kolkata (Calcutta...
7 posts
Save Topic
Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

Hi,

I am going to Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal during July-August for my Honeymoon. For that I would require local transport from different location from one place to other and Local Site-seeing.For example

1. Cochin to Munnar

2. Munnar Site-seeing

3. Munnar to Thekkady

4. Thekkady to Kodaikanal

5. Kodaikanal Site-seeing

6. Kodaikanal to Coembatore

My question : is it wise to book a cab in advance or can I rely on local finds when I reach the place?

-Thanks in Advance

gmainak

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

You can arrive in Coimbatore and do the same trip. Good to arrange a car in advance. Make a round trip, based on Coimbatore.

Suresh P R, Palmland Tours, Kerala.

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

Bus Timings

Munnar to Coimbatore 0630 and 1545 – App. 6 hour running time to reach Coimbatore.

Coimbatore to Munnar

Via Pollachi-Udumalai-Chinnar- Marayoor 6 hour running

Timings from Coimbatore

08:10 and 14:25

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

Kodaikanal to Coimbatore Bus timings

08:40; 16:30

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

Munnar to Kumali/Thekkady bus timings

Bus timings

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

Hi

July August is rainy season, road condition also become very bad, better to book one SUV, there are so many small operators in Kochi, you do your research and confirm SUV. Lean period so no need of advance payment.

BR

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

book to earlier with advance thats good. book to entire trip same vehicle thats in economic and safe. around 1000 km will coming with all sightseeing entire trip 6 days cochin pik up & up to coimpatoor drop .if its ac Indica rs.9,500/ net will coming approximate.

cochin - munnar 150 km , munnar sightseing 100km, munnar-thekkady 120 km , thekkady ss 30 km, thekady -kodaikanal -170 km , kodai sightseeing 70 km .

regards

satheesh

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

You can consider to do this trip out of Coimbatore or Cochin. Logistically, Coimbatore has the edge as both Munnar and Kodaikanal are more or less equidistant from here. Further, you would not need to pay the empty return charges to the taxi operator from wherever you book.

Cochin - Munnar - Thekkady - Kodaikanal - Coimbatore - Cochin(empty) would be around 750 kms, not including the local usage in every location.

Coimbatore - Munnar - Thekkady - Kodaikanal - Coimbatore would be 575 kms, again not including the local usage, which should be the same.

A Tata Indica would be sufficient for the two of you and in cases like this they use the aircon in the plains, meaning, as and when required. The approximate costings for an Indica (Coimbatore rates) would be Rs.800 day rent + Rs.200 (driver bata) + Rs.5 per km run. The parking, permit charges, tolls etc. would be at actuals. Hence, for a 6 day trip and assuming, a running of 650 kms (approx), the cost would be Rs.9250 ++.

Feel free to revert for any clarifications,

Regards

Prasanna

Edited: 12:20 pm, May 27, 2012
Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

And coming to the question you have asked, it is better to reach the destination with an idea, if not a booking. Searching and negotiating and getting delayed unnecessarily is not my way to start a honeymoon. And, you would not have the negotiating edge, with all your baggage and newly married wife along, and syndicates too happen in this side of the country.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

Thanks everyone(specially Prasanna and Satheesh) for the excellent suggestions!!!

I am relay new to that part of India and didn't had a clue about the km wise break-up. I am thanking my luck that I did not booked the air ticket previously and thought of getting some expert opinion from you guys.

Can you please do me a favour and suggest some local agents. I have tried some online agents and quoted much higher than the approximate value suggested by you..

Thank you again

gmainak

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munnar-Thekkady-Kodaikanal>> book a cab beforehand ????

The above quote was given by the travel guy we use here regularly and I feel there would be a little scope for negotiation. You may call Mr.Ravi of Maheswari Travels @ 9842221478 and check out. If required, refer my name if you feel the rates are different from the one I have listed. In case you want to compare, you may call Taxi Taxi @ 0422 40506070 or Fast Track @ 0422 2888999.

Feel free to ask in case you want some more contacts,

Regards

Prasanna