We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munnar: One Night Only

Which Munnar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Munnar: One Night Only

My original plan was to spend two nights in Munnar and to depart Munnar very early morning to make a same day Allepey houseboat cruise.

I've been advised by several kind forum members not to attempt this as I may be late for the boat and stressed by the car trip.

If I spend only one night in Munnar (having departed Cochin early morning) and depart the next day after lunch for an overnight Allepey Homestay will I be equally stressed? Is the road trip that grueling?

I realize two nights is ideal but at least with one I'll get a taste of Munnar and experience the backwaters too.

If the consensus is to stay Munnar two nights and leave depart at a leisurely time, then I will.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

Hi...

Yes, this maybe a little tiring but not to the point of you being totally exhausted. The early morning drive from Munnar would be amazing and the views would be very scenic. You might consider Kottayam/Kumarakom instead as this would be a little shorter. If you leave by 6.00 AM, you might reach Kumarakom by maybe 10.00 AM, right in time for your houseboat. And Munnar requires 2 nights to atleast get the feel of it. I would recommend and suggest you to stick to you plan and if at all you are late by an hour, believe me, you are not missing out anything. Since, you would only relax in a houseboat, and will not have to exert yourself, you might as well start by early morning or a little late also.

Regards

Prasanna

new york
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

Thanks for your reply,

I believe the concern about the early morning Munnar departure is potential fog and rain delays. I'll be travelling around Nov.7.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
682 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

hi,

the recommend trip is

Munnar -2 dayz

Alleppey - 1 day.

Regards

KERALA DAYZ

Mumbai
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

Hi,

Even if there is fog, you can start comfortably in the morning and reach by noon for your houseboat. You can then have your lunch at the houseboat and just relax for the rest of the day. Going up and down the hill for Munnar with only 1 night becomes tiring. Minimum 2 days in Munnar would be good and you can actually enjoy the place else you will be more tired. an overnight on the houseboat is good. Driving down from Munnar to board houseboat at Kumarakom and disembarking at Alleppey, to proceed to Kochi would be the best routing.

Regards,

Anushka

new york
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

I would like to mention the reasons I'm considering leaving Munnar after 1 night: 1) ability to return to Alleppey in the afternoon at a relaxed and safe pace,

2) possibility of Poopalley's home stay and the opportunity to see the backwaters at dawn followed by a leisurely morning prior to a day cruise, and 3) no need to sacrifice any days already booked at the beach prior to Mumbai return.

I hope this makes it clear why I'm struggling with this decision. I want to see it all!

new york
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

Why Kumarakom , in your opinion? Others have said that drive time to Alleppey is the same and that the scenery is better for cruising than Kumarakom. I would on the other hand, consider the ferry, ( which I understand covers it all scenery wise) but I'm sure its not very comfortable or serene after a long drive!

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

Hi Chimneycottage,

If you reach Munnar by lunchtime, have lunch, by the time you get to a sightseeing place, there will not be much you will get to see that afternoon, because fog may descend in the evening too and it gets dark soon, activities at attractions close early and there is not too much to do in Munnar once it gets dark. As everyone has recommended, it would be good to spend two nights. My recommendation is for three.

You may like to read a trip report I did. It may lend perspective and some idea about time taken for various stuff:

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g303881-i9231-k4996…

Edited: 12:50 pm, May 17, 2012
Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

Hi...

I suggested Kumarakom as it is a little shorter ride comparing Alleppey. Nothing else in particular and a houseboat in mind. IMPO, doing Munnar for just a night would be a waste of time and energy. Instead you might consider on some other place like Thekkady, where a day is fine. If that homestay can be considered, I would suggest to spend 2 days in Munnar, atleast to get acclimatised.

Regards

Prasanna

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

hi ,

now since the idea is to have Alleppey homestay included and the houseboat day cruise after the night stay at Alleppey , at the same time not compromising onno: of days at the beach, will it not the possible to do munnar 1 night as follows?

depart early morning( traffic will be low on this stretch , get the early morning scenary as prasanna says) from FortCochin , reach Munnar by around 11 AM, check-in to the hotel, have lunch and do the sightseeing (say until 5 PM) , heading straight on the Mattupetty route , return in time for the tea museum

next day after breakfast visit eravikulam national park and proceed to Alleppey after lunch . this way it is able to get a feeling of the place

so they reach Alleppey homestay by evening and enjoy the pleasant evening and the morning in the homestay , do the backwater day cruise and evening proceed to Marari beach

getting the feel of a hill station with 1 night stay ( 2 half days!! for sights ), wake up at the backwater homestay , day cruise in backwaters on the 3rd day and finally having a perfectly relaxing days at the beach in Marari .!!!( with out compromising the beach days )

new york
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Munnar: One Night Only

Sounds lovely, Neenu-raj.

Thank you for a plan. Comments anyone?