We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

London, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

Good afternoon!

I'm going for a Kerala trip and my first 4 days I plan to do Cochin-Munnar and Allepey by bus...

The KSRTC site doesn't let me search (no idea), it's kind of not working... so I if anyone knows the bus timetables for that Cochin-Munnar and Munnar-Allepey it would be of great help!

I'm also wondering if 4 days is enough (1 day in Cochin, 2 days in Munnar and 1 day for the backwaters...

Thanks a million!

Liv

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

It's gonna be tough but you have god no.of buses everyday. It's difficult to ind schedules online as these are ordinary buses, not even semi luxury. Be prepared for a rough and tough ride .

2. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement. By law, we must remove any messages that include content protected by copyright which has been reproduced without direct permission from the author/publisher -- this includes but is not limited to items copied and pasted from online news agencies, magazines and commercial/personal websites, trademarks, passwords, confidential information, or intellectual property of any other person.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:09 am, January 17, 2012
Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

Lot of KSRTC buses (atleast one in every hour) are running between Cochin (Eranakulam) and Munnar. You can board them either from Eranakulam KSRTC bus stand or Alwaye KSRTC bus stand. Most of them are ordinary buses and you will have to compromise a lot on comfort. Journey time will be nearly 6 hrs.

As per my knowledge there are no direct bus connecting Munnar and Alleppy. You need to come to Eranakulam from where you can catch bus to Alleppy (1.5 hrs journey).

It is tough to accommodate these 3 places for 4 day trip. I would recommend to arrange a cab so that your travel will be comfortable and you will be able to save a lot of time.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

Any idea how much a cab would cost from Cochin airport to Munnar and from there to Alleppy?

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
81 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

@rcdoc

the cab cost is calculated based on the number of days you will stay in each destinatio, ur itinerary and the type of car. In kerala, the cars used are Indica (small hatchback) (1-4), Indigo/Logan (salon) (1-4) and Innova (MUV) (1-5) where Indica is cheaper and the Innova is the expensive but very comfortable for long drives in Indian roads.

London, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

Thanks very much for your help!

so there are only KSRTC buses running...

any idea of a reliable and not very expensive taxi driver?

thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

liv,

the rates are mostly dependent on the vehicle type and not the driver. You can land up at Ernakulam(Kochi) and get a cab for just Munnar drop or for an extended trip around Munnar and then back to Aleppey. The rates are mostly : Rs 8-9 per km for a Tata Indica (description already given by Alexander) or Rs 11-12 per km for a Toyota innova and similar vehicles. The journey will be very comfortable if you take the cab option rather than local buses.

Another condition is a minimum of 250 kms fare for a day. You have to pay that minimum amount, even if your car is driven for only about 100 odd kms.Also if you are keeping the vehicle for more than 1 day, then you need to pay a Driver Charge of Rs 200- Rs 250. Also if you are making him drive after 10 pm in the night, there will be separate night charges.

With all these info, i think you can calculate how much a can will cost you for your trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

rcdoc,

my last post will answer your question as well. But since yours is just a drop, it might be around Rs 1700- Rs 2000, depending on the agency from where you are hiring

Coimbatore, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

Hi,

From kochi you can come by K.S.R.T.C the morning bus starts from 6.00am .you can very well reach munnar by 11.30am even if you miss the bus i think there are buses every half an hour.then in munnar check in time is 12.00noon.the bus ride will be tough as it is not luxurious.in cab the rate is 1700 from kochi airport and if it is from bus stand is 2100.if you want budget type or posh you can log on to www.aranyakaresorts.com.then from there to travel around there is a bike which you can hire ie is the cheapest mode of travelling in munnar.

Coimbatore, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cochin-Munnar-Allepey

Hi,

From kochi you can come by K.S.R.T.C the morning bus starts from 6.00am .you can very well reach munnar by 11.30am even if you miss the bus i think there are buses every half an hour.then in munnar check in time is 12.00noon.the bus ride will be tough as it is not luxurious.in cab the rate is 1700 from kochi airport and if it is from bus stand is 2100.if you want budget type or posh you can log on to www.aranyakaresorts.com.then from there to travel around there is a bike which you can hire ie is the cheapest mode of travelling in munnar.