We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bhuj- weekend trip

india
3 posts
Save Topic
Bhuj- weekend trip

hello there

i am going to bhuj this weekend. do u hv any reference and any suggestions for bhuj. i want to see the salt fields and shrimps farming and other places suggested by you all. please recommend and pass on any reference.

thanks

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bhuj- weekend trip

Have you seen the Hodka website?

http://www.hodka.in/

india
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bhuj- weekend trip

thanks for the reference. i am keen on going to see the rann of kutch and little rann of kutch. and a few villages. i hv only two days and one night. how to get to these places any ideas?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bhuj- weekend trip

Well, what part of India are you going from?

There are no direct flights from Delhi to Bhuj, all of them require you to change at Mumbai.

From Mumbai to Bhuj, there's a Jet Lite airway flight that leaves 15:30 and arrives at 16:50, fare is INR 3800 including all taxes. There are also

a couple of more expensive flights, but this is the cheapest option.

From Mumbai there are overnight trains to Bhuj as well:

9031 KUTCH EXPRESS leaves MUMBAI CENTRAL at 17:10 and arrives BHUJ 09:10

9115 BHUJ EXP leaves BANDRA TERMINUS at 14:50 and arrives BHUJ 07:30

The train fare in 2nd AC is INR 1178, in 3rd AC is 842, and if you want to try travelling in the lowest category (second class) then its 310.

Other stuff from Rough Guide, Internet Blogs and so on: Bhuj was badly damaged in the 2002 earthquake, parts of it are broken down. There is no government

tourist office. Buy a map from the Aina Mahal's caretaker Pramod Jethi. Internet cafes are on Hospital Road.

There are several places to stay, depending on your budget:

1) Gangaram Guesthouse, behind Aina Mahal in the old city, very good recommendations on Rough Guide

2) KBN, east of the bus stand on Station Road

3) Prince, east of the bus stand on Station Road (slightly highend)

4) Sahara Palace, mid range, opposite the bus stand

5) VRP Guesthouse, 150metres west of the bus stand, budget, dark rooms, noisy, but the west facing rooms are relatively quiet, Gujarati signboard.

6) City Guest House, near the old vegetable stand, has rooms with common bath for Rs 250/250 and small, clean double rooms with bath for Rs 200. Free hot

water in a bucket. Popular with backpackers.

A good option is to reach out to <http://www.kala-raksha.org/ They are in the middle of a village, and apparently can offer accomodation, that is just from

some forum post I saw.

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bhuj- weekend trip

If you decide to stay at Hodka, remember it can not replace at least 2 nights in Bhuj. Hodka extreme north and you can make that a base for sightseeing of Bhuj or Mandvi. The campsite is a brave experiment by Govt of India to develop rural tourism but when I visited, they were having problems with handling the food. So suggest you keep your stay there to one night. Making Bhuj a base is better so you can visit Mandvi in the south, Bhujodi in the east and also the Banni area around Hodka as a day excursion. The Prince Hotel has been the perennial favourite in the city unless some other hotel has come up in the last year. The Garha Safari Lodge is also a good alternate and in between Bhuj & Hodka and can still be used a 3 night base.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bhuj- weekend trip

I travelled to Bhuj a couple of years before the aerthquake shook the region, so I suppose much has changed since then.

I used to avail of the very comfortable/safe overnight sleeper bus from Swaminarayan travels (09825804762). They are recommended on many sites

for travel options to Bhuj.

The place that I stayed at was Bhuj Guest House (don't know whether it even exists) which offered basic amenities and at 100 rupees a night was a great option for a group of cackling young girls. Prince Hotel, as suggested by npjai would probably be your best then.

We also made a detour to Mandvi which was exciting because there weren't many people on the beach. If you've done beaches elsewhere in India, skip Mandvi - save for the virgin waters and hyterical camel rides there really isn't much that the place will offer you.

Also came across the blog on the net that might interest you:

travelblog.org/Asia/…blog-273496.html

If you plan to visit Kala Raksha, write to Judy Frater at info@kala-raksha.org. She would be able to suggest stay and travel options.

6. Re: Bhuj- weekend trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bhuj