We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget accommodation

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Budget accommodation

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for budget accommodation in West End, no more than 20$ a night. I'll be coming up in mid-June and staying about 10 nights. Specifically I am looking for somewhere safe, clean and quiet at nights as I am an early and light sleeper. AC is not important at all, but hot water is. I'll be travelling alone. I'll be diving, but I'd rather avoid dive + hotel packages because I'd like to get a feel for a dive operation and make they check out before signing on with them.

Is this completely impossible? I'm thinking if I spend more than 7 nights perhaps some place may cut me a deal of sorts? I've done extensive searching online and on TA, nothing that's really clicked for me yet. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget accommodation

http://www.nativesonsroatan.com/chillies.htm

Chillies dorm rooms start at $11, perfect location, sweet property, great reviews.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget accommodation

Holy Buckets!! I had no idea Chilles had a dorm room. Good on them!

I do hostels in Europe, great way to meet like minded peoples.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget accommodation

Boy if I could be happy in a bed with this price I'd have 2 million dollars in the bank...unfortunately I need my princess comforts and a place to put my tiara....lol...anyhoo to the OP...sounds like this might be your place!!!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget accommodation

Thanks fathie,

Would you happen to have personal experience staying at their dorms? I'm just curious about noise levels at night since I sleep lightly and early. Do you know how many dorm beds there are?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget accommodation

I have not had personal experience with dorm rooms on the island I have been in more than one dorm room in my many travels. I can tell you without a doubt the noise level is luck of the draw depending on who else is in the room with you,..... for that matter I have paid up and over $100 a night for hotel rooms for me alone and could still hear plenty of noise. I have found earplugs to be my friends, I also on occasion wear what I can a diva mask. :0)

I would not consider any of West End to be quiet, water water everywhere, noise she does travel fast over the bay.

Have a look at the link Fathie left you.. there are other options for a bit more money. You could also ask them any questions you have about how many of what type of room they have.

http://www.nativesonsroatan.com/chillies.htm

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget accommodation

Oops. if I am reading this right it looks like the dorm room doesn't have hot water... and the cabins only do for more cash.

Power on the island is a scary scary thing, price wise.

I rented a small studio behind Sunset Villas, under a bridge, I thought I was stealing the place for $500 a month, even so the power was extra. Shezz, that was 2007.

I wonder if something on Utila may suit you better... I know little about Utila other than it feels more backpacker less expensive to me than Roatan. There was a time when Roatan was less knows... ahh but then the cruise ship and everything changed.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget accommodation

Well, yes, Utila is the place we want to send backpackers but then they would have to get there and there goes the budget. That's a great price at Chillies. I had no idea. There is a budget hotel just past coconut tree called the Delfin. I have never dared to look inside. Can't be very expensive. But that price at Chillies is hard to beat. And that's a decent place. I'll check out Delfin when I'm down next week.

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget accommodation

Thanks! Let me know about Delfin if you can :)

Ingleside, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget accommodation

I think dhauk is referring to the Dolphin. Its very centrally located West End, just steps from the Coconut Tree, and just across the road from the beach. They are currently renovating the rooms in turn. I stayed there for 9 nights in April. They have clean rooms with A/C and hot water plus Sat TV, and are super quiet (at least my room near the back was) but they run about $40 a night. They take VISA also which came in handy when all the ATMs in town broke down. Frankly, for $20 you will have a hard time to get a decent room other than a dorm.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
10. Re: Budget accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 28, 2015
Get answers to your questions about West End