We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's more lively West End or West Bay?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
53 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
What's more lively West End or West Bay?

There are 12 of us going on a Carnival Cruise to Mahogany Bay next month. I've been to Roatan back in 2005, before Mahogany Bay was created and it was incredible fun. However, the port in Mahogany Bay seems dull from posts I've read. I don't want to do the commercialized, Carnival created island. We are looking for a more lively, cultural part of Roatan. We are more interested in sight seeing and indulging in local cuisine and alcohol. I've read a few posts to check out West End of West Bay, I'm just not quite sure which is the better choice for our wild bunch. I'm the only one in our group that's ever been to Roatan and I want to take them somewhere to get the entire cultural experience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

My two cents..from what I have been reading all of Roatan is fairly commercial.

I think it depends on what you want to do while here and how independent you want to be..

veg/snorkel on a beautiful beach-West Bay

eat/ bars/ shop with a not bad beach-West End.

If you wanted "culture" maybe a day tour, with your own driver, of the Island and include a stop at a Garifuna Village?

copy this maybe but do it on your own?

https:/…GarifunaMangroveIguanaTour.html

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

West Bay is mostly resorts, very little cultural advantages.

West End is really only slight better, due to so many people being from someplace else. It was put on the map year ago by the dive community, the place is all about the diving bringing people from all over the world to its first class status.

Truly, I would not have a slightest idea where to send someone looking for a cultural experience on the island. Indeed there is a Garifuna Village but I would think they are far more about feeding their families they they would be entertaining a wild bunch from a cruise ship. I do not mean to be rude, I am just saying their priorities would seem to be far from booze and party.

I suggest you ditch the culture part of the adventure and hang about in West End at Sundowner's, the beach is nice enough and the people coming and going are expats a locals.

Be aware, full throttle party doesn't begin until after the diver return from the sea.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

I think we are misreading the "cultural" thing. I think the OP came to Roatan and had a really good time in 2005. That is a culture... the culture of expats and travelers and tourists getting together and partying.

So the simple answer... get everybody to West End. Work the street, eating and drinking and hanging at the beach(es) a while.

A little more complicated answer. Get everybody to West Bay. People who want to snorkel, snorkel. Those who don't can hang at the Grand Roatan bar right by the most popular snorkeling spot... or the IB bar... or the Bananarama bar. Arrange to meet at 1 in West End for lunch... take the water taxi for a $3 nice boat ride. Hang the rest of your time in West End. Pour your buddies into a vehicle for return to the ship.

Alternative - get a driver... for a dozen people, probably two vehicles... and ask for a trip to the east end. Ask them to take you to a couple local places for food and drinks. Do the mangrove tour or something. Actually, I'd ask for a local place for drinks and snacks, but I'd head for Temporary Cal's for the real meal... great views, and a pretty good place to look out while drinking... great food...

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
53 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

Thank y'all for the great advice and information. I'm thinking West End may be a little more of what we are looking for. We just don't want to spend our day at Mahogany Bay. We were hoping to adventure out a bit more and check out other places.

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

Just suggestion - you could start out at West Bay - amazing snorkeling, gorgeous beach, powder sand. Have a couple of drinks and take in some sun - then take a water taxi over to West End (about $3./per person) and do your shopping, more drinking, have a cigar - etc. There are great food carts along the way (have a balleda (sp?).. you will have a blast!!! And I completely agree....if you were coming into the Port of Roatan, you would get more of a "local feel" but the Mahogany Bay dock is very Disney like.

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

Franks hideaway in the west end is a blast.

United States
Level Contributor
716 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

very easy..if you want to be an absolute tourist..West Bay is for you! No town, a strip of hotels, a beautiful beach. If you want to stay near a little village town away from high rise hotels...West End is for you. Snorkeling is just as good at the West End...right in front of, and around the corner from, The Half Moon Bay resort. Local eats are better at the West End. I have been both places. West end has many dive shops , small eats, shops, bars..Everything you need for an enjoyable trip:-)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
53 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

Thank you all tremendously for the advice. I think we may start out at West Bay take a water taxi to West End and then a cab back to the ship. I am so excited and definitely appreciate the great comments. I think by doing both we'll get all of the excitement and beauty we were hoping for.

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

Sheri J - excellent decision!! You might not have a lot of time at either place, but you will get to experience both West Bay and West End and they are very different towns - plus you get a cheap boat ride for a little but :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
53 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's more lively West End or West Bay?

Thanks deeweber! It was a great suggestion. I know we only have about 7 hours at port, but I think this will work great for our crew.

Get answers to your questions about West End