We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooters?

Which West End hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Scooters?

My boyfriend and I will be visiting Roatan soon and staying in West End. We have heard you can rent scooters to get around. Is this suggested? What are some places to rent from, if so, and what can we expect the cost to be? Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
526 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooters?

I rented one from Seagrape Plantation Resort, located at the West End for $30.00 per day. It was almost new.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooters?

Captain Van's in West Bay rents out scooters:

www.captainvans.com/captain_rentals.htm

The road in Roatan are narrow and not in the best conditions, plus you have people, cats, dogs etc using it.

Extreme caution is needed when driving a scooter.

Have fun!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,950 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooters?

By the time you rent two scooters it is cheaper and way safer to rent a car, but alas not as much fun. I think that a car would handle a lot better on the gravel road at the east end of the island.

United States
Level Contributor
526 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooters?

I found that the cars can not travel as fast as a scooter because of all the pot holes they have to avoid. I felt very safe, but have been riding a motorcycle in NY since 1973. The roads have many pot holes. We both rode on one scooter. It was fun, but you do have to becareful.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooters?

Thanks all for the suggestions! We are actually staying at Seagrape, so good to know that is an option.

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooters?

We rented a scooter across from the gas station over by west bay. It was a new scooter and cost $30 a day. We doubled on it. I felt safe, the traffic isn't too heavy, just go slow, watch for holes in the road. Its way easier to park a scooter in west bay than a car. Have fun!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooters?

huh? there is a gas station in West Bay?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooters?

Scooter Me Timbers! We are going the scooter route, too, in May... is the insurance on them recommended/necessary? We are going to be renting one for the week to be able to hop on and tour the island.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scooters?

I have rented a scooter twice on the island, I don't remember paying insurance.

I rented a car in Portugal, my credit card company offers insurance so I didn't bothering paying it.

Would your credit card people pay for scooter insurance?

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scooters?

Crap, I mean by west end.

Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations