We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and Grocery shopping

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
46 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants and Grocery shopping

My family and I have rented a house for 10 days on the beach halfway between West Bay and West End. I was reading that there aren't many places to go grocery shopping to BBQ at the house. Can anyone suggest a good place to go shopping for fish/meat and vegetables? Is there a good fish market to check out to buy fresh fish as well? Also are there any great restaurants to hit up during our visit? We have my three year old nephew with us so was looking into any possible tours that can be in the morning that aren't to lengthy since there is no way he will make it through a 6 hr tour. Thanks for your help in advance!

Leslie

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and Grocery shopping

I do not know where you were reading but there are plenty of places., I BBQ or at least Grill out at least 4 times a week on average and pretty much always eat at home. Eat out mostly when meeting business people or for a quick breakfast or lunch with Ballaedas and or other local Tipico meals You can find fresh fish almost daily in West End, Head in and ask a few folks, there is a little seafood store and there is the area a bunch of fisherman come in. For most other shopping head to Coxen Hole. Eldons and Plaza Mar both carry chicken, meats, conch, shrimp, lobster and other fish though it varies day to day. They both also have some fruits and veggies as do the trucks that visit town but maybe not where your staying.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
46 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and Grocery shopping

Thanks so much! My mom found some blog that obviously had some false information. Really appreciate your help and lookin forward to grilling some fresh fish on the beautiful beach!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and Grocery shopping

Sometimes it is just poor communication. You can take a relatively inexpensive taxi to and from Coxen Hole and shop at either of the two good grocery stores on your end of town - Plaza Mar and Eldons. We shop at both - the prices and liquor selection is better at the slightly more traditional Plaza Mar while the Eldons has better air conditionsing and automatic doors and a little brighter, more modern feel. If you are more adventurous, get to West End and then jump on a local bus (a van) and get to the store cheaply - and you'll go into a local colonia to see how many regular workers live when they go home at night. You can take a taxi back when you are loaded with groceries.

We rarely have fresh fish - we are unlikely to run into local fishermen in the way KanM is The fish trucks bring frozen fish and the selection at he stores is mostly frozen (do they have any fresh fish>)

But that isn't a real negative If you are there during the season, you can get local shrimp that were taken and immediately flash frozen - I sure can't tell the difference from fresh, Ditto with flash frozen fish, though I think the best piece of fish I ever had on the island was sea bass off a fish truck - which turned out to be from Vietnam...

Make sure you know what kind of grill your rental has... gas or charcoal... and be well stocked. Like KanM, we cook many of our meals on the grill rather than heating up our cabana... fish, meat, vegies - they all seem to taste better off a grill anyway.

Final note - if you use a computer rather than a phone (doesn't display right) and go to the overall Roatan forum, you'll find a "top questions" section on the right side... with people's suggestions on restaurants and notes on shopping and all kinds of useful information - and wilh the open discussion you get a much more balanced idea than you will from any single blog.

We like to let our friends think we are roughing it in the wilds of Honduras... in fact we live a little more rusticly but have all the mod coms whenever we want and can get almost anything we like. We actually eat and live better on the island than we do at home.

For those who can't live without speciifc specialty items not carried by the regular stores (but I think you should find a local alternative - try something new!) there is a store selling these specialty items between Coxen Hole and French Harbor. We never shop there, but when we have a car we often stop at the fish store that is in the same location.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and Grocery shopping

More than a couple local guys come in near the big fancy places on the Rocks in West End, Not the Half moon Bay side but the side where Lighthouse Restaurant is / was. I am never sure if it is open or not.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
46 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and Grocery shopping

This is all very helpful advice! Thanks so much I can't wait for our visit!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and Grocery shopping

You were also asking about tours for a 3 year old. I haven't been there yet but my wife and I will be in Roatan in a few weeks for 10 days like you and as I always do when travelling to some place new I researched the tours and activities very well.

There are plenty of tours and attractions on the island itself. The only travelling you'd do is driving to the location like gumbalina park, the iquana farm, butterly and monkey garden, etc. You are centrally located so the drive to anyone of those places and more would be short, probably 15m-45m if you went somewhere at the far end of the island. As far as water activities goes they've got everything right off the beach even reefs for snorkelling, you don't have to take a boat, but you can if you want to go to one of the other islands. Even then I think its only about an hour away.

Like I said, haven't been there yet but will be next month. If I'm incorrect in any of my times please correct.

Edited: 5:57 pm, January 24, 2014
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
46 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and Grocery shopping

Great! If you have the time when you get back id love to hear what you found. I'm open to any and all suggestions when traveling to a new place.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
878 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and Grocery shopping

We're also renting a place between WE and WB for three weeks in Feb. I think you might be challenged to find a lot of stuff to keep a three year old interested in, apart from water activities. I've seen people with kids of that age out snorkelling, with the youngster on a floating raft with a clear window in it. I think something like that would give you and him hours of fun.

Here is an example of one: amazon.com/Sea-Window-Explorer-snorkeling-ra…

9. Re: Restaurants and Grocery shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 27, 2015
Get answers to your questions about West End