We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions

Which West End hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kimberly...
12 posts
Save Topic
Questions

Never been to Honduras before so have some questions?

I've read it is buggy? Is this a problem? We like to keep the doors open at night or evening.

Is the water okay to drink?

Where is the best place to stay (location) do not like it real touristy, like very laid back almost no one on the beach feel. Are the groceries cheap ? Can you walk to different local bars restaurants, also want to be able to snorkel from the beach, but would also like to walk sandy beaches and swim. How about driving a car around? We love to have the feal of the country we are not all inclusive or big resort people at all.

thanks for your help!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,089 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions

for better or for worse Roatan is not Honduras; it's pretty much just itself. So you can't go there thinking that you have "done" Honduras, except for the stamp in your passport.

The bugs are like most places in the tropics: bad at sunset but avoidable with any manner of sprays. When I go out to dinner and forget to spray, I get bit. When I spray, I don't. They may bother other people during the day but during the day I'm diving or moving around. On this last visit I think I went several days before I got my first bite. I get bit worse in the Yucatan coast.

Do your research on the several areas to stay, decide whether you're West End people or West Bay people. You have no need for a car once you're settled. There is basically one road to the east end of the island and there are spectacular views along the road, but no need. The big long soft beach is at WEst Bay. But you can swim to the reef at many points along the island.

Food at groceries is a bit cheaper than US, and beer and soft drinks are way cheaper.

Kimberly...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions

Thanks much, we like to discover the whole island so.. I think we would proably get a car, so bugs no problem.. been to many tropical places so no big deal. I like the idea of cheap groceries.

I will have to do some more reasearch on where to stay?

Again thanks!

Mangrove Bight...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions

Of the 3 bay islands, Roatan is the most "touristy." It is also the easiest to get to. Utila is, typically, less expensive and known to be more of a "backpackers" style of vacation. it is relatively easy to get to, as well. Guanaja is the least "touristy" with few hotels. Most properties are boat access only. That makes it the most difficult/expensive to get to of the 3 bay islands, but the most attractive if you like quiet and want very pristine, untouched diving. It also has great flats fishing. There are a couple of nice all-inclusive hotels that are priced at about $150/night, which includes diving, and there are a couple of more "islandy" places that include diving that are not as expensive. It just comes down to your budget and the level of "pampering" you want while on vacation. Many folks who want to "see" Honduras, spend a week on the mainland and a week on one of the islands. There's a lot to see on the mainland like Copan (ruins) or the Pico Bonito National Forest (lots of birds, white water, hiking, horseback riding), and the islands offer a more "tropical" atmosphere with beautiful diving, and great fishing/kayaking. Hope this helps!

4. Re: Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations