We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which bug spray to bring?

kansas city
Level Contributor
438 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which bug spray to bring?

My daughter and her Boyfriend are arriving this Sunday. They are staying at Casa Ladera West End. I have researched here on items to bring and see bug spray but no specific type. Is "Off backwoods" ok, or does it really make any difference what kind. They are very excited!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

Bring whatever you have found to work elswhere, just remember no aerosol

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

ultrathon (REI)by 3M is best as it has a slow release feature. permethrin (REI) clothes spray is very good as is picardin (OFF).

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

I agree with Manuel... bugs and repellents are individual do to our own body chemistry. Find something that works for you an go with that.

There are all kinds of repellents on the island so choices you have.

kansas city
Level Contributor
438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

Thank you for your responses. We really never use it at home so wasn't really familiar. So, no aerosol? Good to know!

NJ
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

Anything with DEET is the only thing I have found that works - reapply and reapply. (be careful DEET takes off nail polish!)

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

No aerosol simply because of TSA rules, Personally I use something with 25-35% deet . Slow release is of little value for me as I am usually neding to reapply often after being in the sea

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

We use Watkins Great Outdoors Insect Repellent Lotion. 28.5% DEET. Excellent product that feels and smells good on your skin and really works. Available at WalMart and Costco (seasonally) otherwise thru a Watkins rep.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

If they are buying something, I'd look for one of the time release products... Ultrathon or Sawyers. They keep the DEET percentage lower by releasing it over time rather than having to start with something like a 100% DEET product that may be absorbed more through the skin... of course, people in and out of the water frequently will need to reapply frequently and the time release becomes less important. Still - nice to be able to put it on at four in the afternoon and still feel relativiely protected when walking back along the beach from dinner at eight...

and don't forget sunscreen - Roatan is a lot closer to the equator than KC! People who say "I don't burn" are often surprised if they are not familiar with tropical sun...

alberta
Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

Are aerosols not allowed on checked luggage? I've travelled with them fairly often, and never had a problem before.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which bug spray to bring?

Aerosol is not allowed checked or carry on with the exception of small quantities in the 311 carryon allowance

Get answers to your questions about West End