We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pairie House?

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Pairie House?

Anyone familiar with this rental property managed by Roatan Property Managers? I can't find any reviews online, but am interested in it for a week in July.

it looks like it is right on the beach and comes with use of kayaks. We want a quiet, beach front, rental with snorkling right off the beach and at least one easy restaurant or bar to access.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Pairie House?

Pairie house was amazing. We just stayed there for 8 nights, March 2013, and we had a blast. There were four of us. Quiet, private setting, peaceful view, and great snorkeling right off the reef at the entrance to the bay/lagoon.

When you get to Pairie House, the turnoff to drive onto the property is quite hidden, but once you've done it a couple times it becomes easier to recognize. We rented a car, I think not doing so would have been quite inconvenient, as you would have to walk out to the main road most likely to meet the cab (about 1/4 mile). When you turn into the road leading up to the house, you go through two closed gates that have warning signs to keep outsiders out. Then you pass the caretaker's house and continue up the road to the main house.

The main house is beautiful. Great view, nice breeze. We moved the table and chairs provided to the main deck, which had a nice hammock. We ate most of our meals outside and socialized mainly out there as well. The mosquitos and gnats can get bothersome around dusk, but bug spray works well. I would suggest keeping all the screen doors shut so mosquitos don't get in.

The house is fully equipped with everything you need, including stove/oven, toaster oven, blender, microwave, utensils, pots/pans, coffee maker. The TV has a bunch of channels but we barely watched it. Nice bathroom. A/C is optional but costs more; they put these weird locks on the plug-in and you can only plug it in after you've gotten the combination and paid the additional fee. We didn't need A/C until the last night or two, it was pretty hot and humid those nights and it would have been nice to have the A/C. But we were just too lazy to bother anyone about it and turned on the fans.

There is a nice outdoor shower and a washer/dryer downstairs. There are also clotheslines to hang your clothes. There were lots of cool critters to see, including lizards, geckos, iguanas, cool birds (including pelicans that fished regularly in the water), and fruit bats. None of them bothered us, just all cool to look at.

The access to the reef was the best part. While you really can't snorkel off the dock because of the shallow and muddy bottom, you can either swim or kayak out to the reef, where the snorkeling is amazing. It rivaled some of the snorkeling adventures we had paid for before discovering this reef. I swam the distance several times from the dock while a friend paddled out with me on one of the kayaks. We all at some point swam the distance, which is probably about 1/3-1/2 mile, totally doable with a snorkel, mask, and fins. You go way faster than you think. Once you get about 3/4 of the way out there, the water gets deep and clear and you can snorkel alongside the reef and see tons of cool fish, sea cucumbers, etc. You can also kayak out there and slide off the kayak, and then either let the kayak drift or hold onto the handle on the end while swimming around, which is much easier than you might think. Or, if you get some rope, you can tie the kayaks up to one of the floating bouys near the reef. We never ventured out into the channel past the break, but we saw dive boats just on the other side of the reef from us, so it's nice enough to attract divers. I was just too chicken to swim past the break, but if you aren't then go for it. I was content to just snorkel on the lagoon side. It was super nice waking up and just going for a swim and a snorkel with no one around and without having to drive anywhere.

Other stuff....the caretaker, David, lives on the property but his house is near the entrance and he can't look into the place nor can you see him unless he is out tending the grounds. We only saw him once or twice, so even though he was there you really couldn't tell. I thought it might be weird at first to have him there, but it really wasn't.

All in all, this place was great for the price, and I highly recommend it. The property managers are very responsive and answered the phone if I had a question. I would definitely go back here, you won't be disappointed.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Pairie House?

Pairie house was amazing. We just stayed there for 8 nights, March 2013, and we had a blast. There were four of us. Quiet, private setting, peaceful view, and great snorkeling right off the reef at the entrance to the bay/lagoon.

When you get to Pairie House, the turnoff to drive onto the property is quite hidden, but once you've done it a couple times it becomes easier to recognize. We rented a car, I think not doing so would have been quite inconvenient, as you would have to walk out to the main road most likely to meet the cab (about 1/4 mile). When you turn into the road leading up to the house, you go through two closed gates that have warning signs to keep outsiders out. Then you pass the caretaker's house and continue up the road to the main house.

The main house is beautiful. Great view, nice breeze. We moved the table and chairs provided to the main deck, which had a nice hammock. We ate most of our meals outside and socialized mainly out there as well. The mosquitos and gnats can get bothersome around dusk, but bug spray works well. I would suggest keeping all the screen doors shut so mosquitos don't get in.

The house is fully equipped with everything you need, including stove/oven, toaster oven, blender, microwave, utensils, pots/pans, coffee maker. The TV has a bunch of channels but we barely watched it. Nice bathroom. A/C is optional but costs more; they put these weird locks on the plug-in and you can only plug it in after you've gotten the combination and paid the additional fee. We didn't need A/C until the last night or two, it was pretty hot and humid those nights and it would have been nice to have the A/C. But we were just too lazy to bother anyone about it and turned on the fans.

There is a nice outdoor shower and a washer/dryer downstairs. There are also clotheslines to hang your clothes. There were lots of cool critters to see, including lizards, geckos, iguanas, cool birds (including pelicans that fished regularly in the water), and fruit bats. None of them bothered us, just all cool to look at.

The access to the reef was the best part. While you really can't snorkel off the dock because of the shallow and muddy bottom, you can either swim or kayak out to the reef, where the snorkeling is amazing. It rivaled some of the snorkeling adventures we had paid for before discovering this reef. I swam the distance several times from the dock while a friend paddled out with me on one of the kayaks. We all at some point swam the distance, which is probably about 1/3-1/2 mile, totally doable with a snorkel, mask, and fins. You go way faster than you think. Once you get about 3/4 of the way out there, the water gets deep and clear and you can snorkel alongside the reef and see tons of cool fish, sea cucumbers, etc. You can also kayak out there and slide off the kayak, and then either let the kayak drift or hold onto the handle on the end while swimming around, which is much easier than you might think. Or, if you get some rope, you can tie the kayaks up to one of the floating bouys near the reef. We never ventured out into the channel past the break, but we saw dive boats just on the other side of the reef from us, so it's nice enough to attract divers. I was just too chicken to swim past the break, but if you aren't then go for it. I was content to just snorkel on the lagoon side. It was super nice waking up and just going for a swim and a snorkel with no one around and without having to drive anywhere.

Other stuff....the caretaker, David, lives on the property but his house is near the entrance and he can't look into the place nor can you see him unless he is out tending the grounds. We only saw him once or twice, so even though he was there you really couldn't tell. I thought it might be weird at first to have him there, but it really wasn't.

All in all, this place was great for the price, and I highly recommend it. The property managers are very responsive and answered the phone if I had a question. I would definitely go back here, you won't be disappointed.

13. Re: Pairie House?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about West End