We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in West End

Which West End hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in West End

We are researching a trip to Roatan and are looking for guidance. Is West End seedy or unsafe in any way? We were speaking with friends who stayed at West Bay last year and they told us to avoid West End; however, we are the type of people who like to walk and eat at small local hole-in-the-wall type restaurants and look at local shops and scenery. The people we talked to said that West End is safe during the day, but avoid it at night.

We are looking at either West Bay or West End--- suggestions? (I will post this on the West Bay forum too).

Thank you.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Crime in West End

Lots of places, most are low cost dive resorts in West End off the beach, although there are some nice places to the bay just north at Half Moon Bay

What type of resort/facilities are you lookng for

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Crime in West End

Bluehouseguy,

I'm not trying to be snippy, but you are obviously well traveled and have based your opinion about room safes on your experiences so...

What SHOULD we do with all our valuables that we don't want to carry around on our persons 24/7?

Thanks!

ee

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Crime in West End

I may be a bit late but better than never as they say.

"What type of resort/facilities are you looking for" is a very good question.

I am a lone female traveler who has visited Roatan for 9 years. I am aware of my world but not overly so. I do not at any time worry about crime in West End. Course I have nothing to steal..that helps. :)

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Crime in West End

LOVED West End. Felt safer there walking at night then I ever did In Maui. We stayed at Luna Beach too and walked nightly to WEst End for dinner, along the beach. Definately bring a little flashlight. But I never felt unsafe at anytime during our 3 week stay.

Alberta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Crime in West End

Been there a few times (it's awesome) and not once have had a problem. Locals are super nice.

We rent a little cabin between West End and HM-Bay and walk everywhere. Never had a problem.

16. Re: Crime in West End

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, May 27, 2010
Get answers to your questions about West End