We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please share favorite tropical rum drink recipes

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please share favorite tropical rum drink recipes

Ok, I want to get into the whole mood of the Caribbean with a fruity tropical rum drink. I don't drink rum often at home. Please give me some good drink recipes I can mix up while on Roatan - Sept 24 to Oct 8.

Thanks!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please share favorite tropical rum drink recipes

from what I understand Ye Ole Monkey La La is just this side of famous.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k288…

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please share favorite tropical rum drink recipes

the national drink of roatan

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please share favorite tropical rum drink recipes

1 oz amber rum

1 oz dark rum

2 oz each pineapple and orange juices

Dash of bitters

Splash of grenadine

Rum swizzle

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please share favorite tropical rum drink recipes

Here are a couple Monkey Lala recipes from TA 2 years ago... and our pina colada recipe.

"Every bartender has a twist for making these drinks. The hardest part about making a monkey lala away from the island is most bars make their own pina colada mix which is used in the drink and hard to replicate at home."

Recipe #1

1 oz. Kahlua

1 oz. Bailey's

splash of vodka

splash of pina colada mix

"*I have had luck just using cream of coconut cut with a little pineapple juice to make a thinner consistancy - if you only use cream of coconut it is hard to blend properly."

Add ice equal to about 1/2 the glass you are using for the drink.

Recipe #2

1 oz Baileys

1 oz Kahlua

1/2 oz Vodka

1/2 oz Rum

2 oz cream of coconut

splash of milk or cream

optional: 1 bannana

optional: squirt of chocolate syrup

Pour over a full blender of ice, blend for 60 seconds.

--------------------------------

Our pina colada recipe:

note: Coco Lopez is the coconut cream in the original pina colada recipe from Puerto Rico, and the canned pineapple juice there is the best... so make sure you get good brands for all the ingredients... the coconut creams on Roatan we tried were all pretty good... and we tried a lot of them!

8.5 oz (small can) Cream of Coconut

8.5 oz (rinse out can) pineapple juice

8.5 oz. (use can) good Flor de Cana rum (4 year is cheap - and just fine for a mixed drink like this... 7 year is a better rum, especially if drinking it straight)

blend, then fill blender with ice cubes and blend again. This makes enough for an excellent breakfast with a little left over for a pre-lunch appetizer.

5. Re: Please share favorite tropical rum drink recipes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 am, January 02, 2013