We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

Which Sandy Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
2 posts
Save Topic
Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

Hey everyone! My future husband and I are very excited about our Roatan honeymoon in June. I've been doing the research, and I think I've narrowed it down to Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway. I know both these places are a bit rustic, which is fine, but I was wondering if anyone was familiar with both and could recommend one over the other? I was leaning toward Blenny's, until I read something about not having a private bathroom? Is this true? Any advice out there?

Thank you!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

Blenny's in not in Sandy Bay...are you sure you have the right place?

I do not know Hobbie's Hideaway but I can tell you the room I had at Blenny's for 2 weeks March 2009 was great fun. Sunsets from the deck were delightful, private bath and a shared outdoor kitchen kinda thing. Easy walk to Half Moon Bay for snorkeling, or West End for food.

Jenny Blenny has more than one option. Email her, she is all kinds of nice and easy going...

Austin, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

Thanks for replying! I'm aware of the locations - it's not really important where we stay as far as location, but I was wondering if Hobbies was biking distance to West End and Bay, that kind of thing. Blenny's does sound great, it just sounded like the privacy was lacking...

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

Hobbies web site says it is at the east end of Sandy Bay.

Depending how how much you bike, you are speaking of a peddle bike or a scooter? I have walked it from the east end of Sandy Bay to both west and and west bay....but most people would tell you I am nuts. I actually walked in the other way, it took four hours, I walked by way of the road.

The road between West End and West Bay is a challenge but yes, it's doable.

I did not have issue with the privacy at Blenny's..that does not mean you will not. Part of answering such question is all perception, what is a delight to me may be the absolute worst of another.

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

It would be a very long walk from Hobbies Hideaway, even a long bike ride on a very busy road with some crazy drivers.

Nomadic...you must be in phenomenal condition...that's quite a walk!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

Nahh I just dig walking.

Back in the day I would walk the beach from West Bay to West End daily, get a yummy pineapple treat from the bakery and walk the road back to West Bay all before 8 am.

The day I walked to Sandy Bay I had business at SunDancer but was staying in West Bay...so I walked it. I wimped out on the way back cause I had to use the ladies so badly. I flagged a taxi at AKR hopped out in West End then walked the beach back after having a potty stop and a smoothy at Rudy's.

I walked from the pizza place in Sandy Bay to West Bay by way of the beach on a regular basis one year...again before 9am.

By the by ~ I spend alot of time in the mountains of Colorado so when I get to sea level anywhere I feel like superman cause there is so much oxygen.

Walking, biking, scootering or driving the road is all safe enough if ya pay attention to what is happening around you.

Man! I do love that island. I skipped it this year for a more exotic place, 1st time in ten years I have not had a visit to the island. Ahh well, things change.

Roatan
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

Hobbie's Hideaway is east of where I live in Sandy Bay. There is no way I would walk or ride a bike from there to West End. That is a death wish!

Hobbie's is rustic, cute enough, with a decent restaurant attached, but I would suggest Jenny Blenny's as a better option for you. You'll get some privacy (it is your honeymoon after all) but you will also be close enough to stroll around West End. If you want a safe adventure walk you can walk the beach from West End to West Bay Beach or catch a water taxi. None of that is a reasonable distance from Hobbies.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

Genny - you need to be aware that Jenny has two different kinds of places she is renting. Her home is part of a nice two-story duplex house. A couple staying in the main house would have lots of privacy - just one shared wall, nice second level balcony with ocean view and hammock.

The cabin is a duplex cabin, one story with a simple bedroom and bathroom on each side, and a shared kitchen /lounging deck in the back. We stayed in the cabin. It is fun and funky - but certainly not private. The floorboards are shared through the building. When somebody in one half of the duplex gets up to use the bathroom, the people in the other half know it. We shared the place with a very nice couple for four days - we were all friendly and respectful - and we refrained from flushing during the night. Flushing on one side was almost as audible in the other side as in one's own side. We had two nights shared with a couple of obnoxious drunks - not so pleasant

Fun, rustic... but not the kind of privacy most newleyweds would be looking for...

Jenny is delightful... great place to stay... just essential that one realize what they are getting!.

Roatan
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

Thanks for clarifying the details of what the different options are. I agree that visitors to Roatan need accurate and complete information.

9. Re: Blenny's Cabin or Hobbies Hideaway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, April 02, 2011