We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Isleta de Gaia- Biggest Disappointment

San Salvador
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel Isleta de Gaia- Biggest Disappointment

I am an avid traveler and try to verify my splurges in multiple books and websites. This time, all the researching really let me done and the only conclusion that I can come to is that the people writing the reviews just accepted the owners arrogant boasting at Face Value. First, it is secluded so they gouge you on everything possible, especially drinking water (charging you five times what the water would cost in the town of Las Islas). The food is terrible and expensive, the rooms are dingy and have poor running cold water showers. But if that is how you like to spend $300 a night (and trust me, I went to drinking tap water and eating 2 small meals a day and it still came out to $300 a night) than this is the place for you. But if you expect a comfortable bed and real pillows and a decent shower and drinking water than by all means, avoid this place!!!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Isleta de Gaia- Biggest Disappointment

geek - Forum regulars don't really take seriously folks who sign up for multiple forums ( www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa… ) just to bash a particular establishment. I hope there were happy moments in your trip, too, and that you'll consider posting about them as well.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
730 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Isleta de Gaia- Biggest Disappointment

I stayed at Isleta de Gaia about two years ago and liked it. I thought it was getting a bit run down but the food was fine and the prices were normal - not $300. I gave them a very good review in my book Open Road's Best of Guatemala. Since them I have heard a couple of negative reports and will go back to check it out for myself before including it in the next edition.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Isleta de Gaia- Biggest Disappointment

I just stayed there 2 nights on Jan 6-7 with my wife and really enjoyed our stay, the food and the owners and his manager. This is a remote island, its like running a boat, everything must be brought in, so it adds to the expense. The cuisine is very good, though the menu is limited, its only due to the fact they have to have a basic supply to keep onhand, as people make a reservations and show up, they cant run back and forth to town for each guest.

The bungalows are rustic, as is the location, this is a desolate area in a hostile enviorment of salt water and humidity, its not a easy task keeping things in good order. For $85 night, a bargain IMO.

San Salvador
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Isleta de Gaia- Biggest Disappointment

I think this hotel counts on people not adding up the total cost of staying there- the $30 per person dinner, $25 breakfast, and $30 a day on drinking water- I was traveling with my partner so times that by two.

I have never really been much into posting on forums- I was just so disappointed that the guide books really over exaggerated the positive attributes of this place without being critical of the drinking water prices and lack of vegetarian options- I felt some critical commentary was necessary.

I travel often- 3 international trips a year and around a dozen in-country trips and this is the only time I have been truly upset enough to ever post a negative word. And many of my stays have been wonderful (and based on guide book recommendations)- such as Casa del Mundo on Lago Atitlan- really a gem.

It also disheartens me- as a doctorate in Sustainability that they call Isleta de Gaia an Eco-lodge; if that is the case than maybe I should chose a different profession.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Isleta de Gaia- Biggest Disappointment

I understand your disappointment, but the bottled water situation as far as price, is what its is, they have to bring a lot in via a taxi, then a boat, so not sure what your angle is on price, but I never even noticed the price of the water.

In regards to being a Eco Resort, they replanted more palms trees then they used to make the thatched roofs. They also have to pump in all the natural fresh water, and they just got electricity a few years ago. But the owner demanded the entire islands get it, not just his property, which was the initial plan by the canton powers that be.

It seems your all bent out of shape over the price of the water, and the lack of vegan menu items. If thats the case, then not every place can meet or make every guest happy, and in your case, you knocking a good business despite the fact it services just 12 bungalows a day, have you any idea how much work is involved in a keeping 24 people happy on a remote island?

Get over it.

6. Re: Hotel Isleta de Gaia- Biggest Disappointment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Monterrico