We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8days in guatemala-antigua-lake atitlan-chichi-??????

new york
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
8days in guatemala-antigua-lake atitlan-chichi-??????

hello,we are a 32yrs old couple traveling to guatemala for 8days in august. we need help with our itenerary if possible. we want to stay in ANTIGUA for at least 2 days, chill/explore, 2 days in Pana, exploring small villages (santiago, etc) by the lake and volcanos... the rest, we were thinking of going to visit Tikal but since we visited Peru last year, visiting ruins are NOT our priority. SO... we thought about visiting copan/semuc champey but i heard it's 7 hours bus ride from antigua and that's a little too long since we don't have many days left. is semuc champey a must?? we wish we could swing by Belize but not enough days... any thoughts?? thanks so much!!!

2 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8days in guatemala-antigua-lake atitlan-chichi-??????

In my opinion there are 3 musts to do when visiting Guatemala 1. Tikal 2. Lake Atitlan 3. Antigua ....Others, however, consider Rio Dulce, Semuc Champey and Chichicastenango to be "musts" to visit as well. Each person has their own preferences.

I've been to Semuc Champey one time in the past. After seeing the waterfalls and pools there AND seeing the large sign they had posted at the entrance that said "Semuc Champey - The Eighth Wonder of the World"....I assure you it's not that fantastic.

The main question I would have for you is do you want to spend time in just the Highlands or do you want to see the jungle too?

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8days in guatemala-antigua-lake atitlan-chichi-??????

I agree - Antigua, Atitlan and Tikal. 8 days should cover this.

Ive been to Peru too and I would still say definitely go to Tikal - its totally different to the sites in Peru and well worth a visit.

Reply to: 8days in guatemala-antigua-lake atitlan-chichi-??????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor