We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

East Anglia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

Am definitely on my way to Takoradi this year to see my father's grave. Made enquiries on here last year but had no money till now. Is BA the best for flights. I like the look of Elmina Bay Resort and Planters Lodge but guess the latter might be much more expensive and like the thought of being on the beach. Both hotels on here get great reviews though. Can anyone tell me please when is the best month to go? And of course anything else. Have a mountain of questions i.e. does one hire a car or use taxis - what vaccinations etc

Hope someone can tell me - am now getting quite excited

Lisiann

H

15 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

Hi Lisiann,

I have stayed several times at Africa Beach, owned by an English Man (Bob) and his Ghanaian Wife (Gifty), place is clean, lively and welcoming and seriously less that the Planters Lodge and not far away. Captain Hooks seafood restaurant is nearby which is great too. Don't know Elmina Bay, sorry. Anyway, hope this is not too late to help and have a great trip, it is a great country, Jon

East Anglia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

Thanks so much - will search for the website and have a look. Elmina Bay is about 50 minutes away from Takoradi I believe but gets great write ups in the Forum. Not sure when going - waiting for sons and daughter to decide what they are doing but definitely this year. anything else you can tell me would be much appreciated

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

Ah THAT Elmina Bay!!!! Think I know it, it is on the coastal route from Accra to Takoradi (which I cycled once a few years ago, it is nice, decent rooms and food and a big pool as the sea is rough and walkable to Elmina Castle.

You mentioned safety somewhere and I wouldn,t worry too much at all, yes you will attract attention but that is because you are the minority, just smile and say no or yes depending on what you want.

I would not spend too long in Accra, it has little to offer, I would try to travel by taxi, the buses and TroTro shared taxis look a sweaty hassle. Coast route is lovely and Cape Coast and Elmina Castles are very worth a visit.

Beyond Takoradi (about an hour is Nzulezu, the village on stilts over a lagoon and well worth a visit, there are a couple of basic ish but not nasty hotels fairly near which are good as a base, there is also a forest reserve but the leopard are very elusive (if there are any).

If you have time and the inclination a trip up to Mole N.P. is well worth it, walking safari (not arduous) to see elephant.

I suggest, gently, a day to get over your flight at The Royal Palm or Labadi Beach, dearish but very nice.

Travel to Elmina and stay and enjoy the sea, the castle and hotel.

Pay your respects in Takoradi. Planters or Africa Beach but I favour the latter as you are on the beach. The town is unremarkable but pleasant enough for a large african town.

Keep going west toward The Ivory Coast and visit Nzulezu.

Hesd up through Kumasi and spend a bit of time, the cultural centre is interesting as this was the seat of the Ashanti Kings.

Crack on North to Mole, you will notice the land getting increasingly arrid and villages become scarcer abd more as you may imagine Africa.

Then travel back heading east to accra so you complete a rough triangle.

Don,t know your budget or interests but you would see much of what the country has to offer.

Ghana is working Africa, not vast savannahs, it's treasures are it's people and the memories it and they will give you.

Let me know if I can fill in any gaps that you want info on.

Jon

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

hi Lisiann,

I stayed at Busua beach which is about 30 mins from Takoradi, but in other direction. We stayed at Busua Inn, owned by a retired French couple.. you can google it... they cost about $35 a night. You can also get a hut at a bar 2 doors down which is on stilts, it's $10 Ghana Cedi's a night, the bar is called 'Sankofa'. The bar staff are beautiful and the food is delicious. We made friends with a taxi driver from the bus depot, and swapped numbers and he took us around plus we also made use of trotros!

East Anglia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

Well thanks so much for your replies - I could go on and on! I think we will only have a week or 10 days so the thought of somewhere on the beach to relax in when not sightseeing is uppermost. As to travel - do I take it you don't recommend hiring a car then. Also do you haggle for taxi fares? Another thought someone told me there is a red cloud that descends at certain times - what is the best month to visit please weatherwise. Also are the mosquitos a problem.?My dad died of clinical malaria but in 1942 there werent the drugs available that there are now. I am so excited at the thought of visiting Africa and it cant come soon enough. Just waiting for daughter to let me know her availability

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

The beaches are great and Busua Beach, as mentioned elsewhere is the pleace west of Takoradi I was thinking of, nice clifftop cottages, big beach, good food and very laid back.

I have driven over there on many occasions, it is down to confidence and the fact that I used to get one free to use. I think (????) the bulk of rentals can come with a driver at little extra cost so that may do you. Personal view is why pay to hire a car if you are only going at most 500miles in your week or so and spending the bulk of your time in, say, 3 places, better to bunnyhop in taxis and fix a price before you go for each leg then say cheerio to your cabbie. It will not be too difficult at all to get a taxi in Accra, Takoradi, Elmina, Busua may be harder but sure the hotel can help. I all of these places bargain. I ended up stuck due to a vehicle failure in next to nowhere up country and it cost about £70 for a 5 hour journey for me, Diane and our 2 children plus luggage, I reckon this is a lot less than hertz for a day.

Vaguely familiar with the red cloud, I believe it is a southerly wind carring dust south from the sahara. I may have been there when it has been but it has never been an issue for me and I have visited in all seasons, it did rain quite a lot when I went there one summer but that was unusual and tolerable and quite localised.

A good thing for you to do is to spend £12 or so on the Bradt Guide to Ghana, it has loads of good accurate info to help you design your trip.

Happy to help if you need more info,

Jon

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

Missed the mozzie question, yes this is a malarial area and you will need Malarone or Larium and repellant. As ever cover up after dark. It shouldn't be too bad as you are on the coast. Oh, I wouldn't suggest that you stay at the village on stilts unless you like very basic, but that is your call. My wife found the lack of a flushing loo and warm beer a step too far but it is easy from Busua or even Takoradi but Busua has quiter and Prettier Beaches.

Covina, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

Elmina Bay Resort is great and definitely worth staying at. As mentioned by others you can hire a taxi for the day for a reasonable cost, although you must be clear where you are going and whether or not you will have to pay for fuel.

East Anglia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay

Wow guys - your replies are so helpful. Still waiting on daughter who is just back from Mexico to see when we can go to Ghana. However, one son in particular seems to think it best if we hire a car but I am a bit concerned as I believe the roads are none too good. He does like to be independent though - but when he reads all the posts here, he may change his mind. We still favour Elmina Bay I think as our funds are not excessive! I will post when we definitely decide but if you guys can think of anything else then I will be so pleased to hear from you

Lis

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay

Roads aren't brilliant but they are fine all the way from Accra to Takoradi and the Route from Cape Coast up to Kumasi and beyond in the North is fine too and I do agree that the freedom offered by being able to nip out is fun, especially as a few of you are going and some may fancy a day or two on the beach whilst others want to explore.

Ghana is a safe place and good to explore so if you believe that you or some of you will use a car then opt for one, you can hire in Takoradi so you may wish to think of getting a taxi across from Accra and then when you are settled in and the more active get their sense of wanderlust aroused they can head out and explore. I doubt it would br cheap to hire in Tdi and return in Accra so a cab back to the Airport would make sense.

Reply to: Where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Elmina
Recent Conversations