We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers cheques

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Travelers cheques

Hi peeps,

I realise that this is a subject regularly posted and some of you are probably sick of responding to the same questions (Coconutscience, Shully et al.), but please could you enlighten me on the excghange rate for travelers cheques at the Pearl Resort with the British pound? Is there anywhere else where I can exchange them with a better rate? Or should I go and exchange the money over here before leaving? I have my Nationwide Credit Card for the majority of purchases (who incidentally dont charge you for using the card abroad unless withdrawing cash), but I know i'll be requiring cash for some of the smaller purchases.

Oh, one more thing.......... How much do you think I should need for an eight night stop, just for the incidental purchases?

Thanks all!

Ste and Vic

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelers cheques

Always exchange your TC at a bank for a better rate. Be sure to take your passport with you to the bank for ID. For an idea of the current exchange rate go to www.xe.com I would suggest you buy your TC in 50 pound and 100 pound amounts. Use any left over cash( XFP)to pay down your hotel bill. The amount of cash needed for

incidental purchases depends on how many Hinano,s(local beer) you buy

Moorea
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelers cheques

Hi Ste & Vic,

Hamara gave you a good website for the daily exchange rate. Within walking distance of the Moorea Pearl are three banks. Socredo, Bank of Tahiti & Bank of Polynesie. You will get a better rate there than at the hotel. I will tell you many shops do not like travelers checks. I think you will be fine with about $50/day for incidentals.

Hope that helps.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelers cheques

ste-n-vic-

My husband and I are going to Moorea mid-August. I have already obtained the currency needed for Moorea, as well as purchased a travelers check card. I obtained the currency from AMEX as well as the travelers check card. I wanted to be sure I had both based on responses from a post I posted awhile back to which Coconutscience and shully responded to.

4. Re: Travelers cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 12, 2009