We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to understand description of adresses/locations

Molde, Norway
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to understand description of adresses/locations

I'm trying to find objects refered to on various web-sites using Google-maps or Google-Earth as tool, but I need to know how to interpret these descritions. I.e. "située au P.K. 21,7 coté mer. Haapiti Moorea" - what does P.K. describe, - and 21,7?

Can anybody assist?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

I sent you a private message for a link to a Moorea map

that should explain your question

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

"P.K." is for "poste kilometre" and PK plus a number is the kilometer distance from a set point on an island, usually a main post office, the city hall, or the airport. (There are concrete markers along the mountainside of the road all around the island to let you know which PK you are at). A "PK" address usually has the name of the village where the post office for that location is, like "Maharepa" or "Haapiti." This village location may not be the same as the physical location, though. Some smaller villages (like Hauru, the Petit Village location, get their mail at a different post office, like Papetoai, so it can be confusing. But the PK number will give you the actual physical location on the island.

I hope Hamara sent you his nifty map!

"Cote de mer" means the address is on the sea side of the road. "Cot motagne" means it's on the mountain side of the road.

If the address has a "BP" followed by a number, that's the post office box address., and not a physical location.

Hope this helps!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

To more specifically answer your question, "située au P.K. 21,7 coté mer. Haapiti Moorea" means that the place is located at PK 21.7 (between PK 21 and 22; the comma would be a decimal point in English), on the lagoon side of the road, in the village of Haapiti. On Moorea, that would be on the southwest side of the island.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

The niffty map was sent.

Hamara

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

Are you by any chance referring to a residence called "Vaianae" which is located in that area?

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

Or perhaps Fare Arana?

Molde, Norway
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

I wouldn't know, but the website is http://www.locmoorea.wb.st/

Molde, Norway
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

Hm..strange...i'll be around Mesa at x-mas :-)

Molde, Norway
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

Thank you Hamara, the map was really helpful. I see you have a nice "spot" there too. Is it far to the beach?

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to understand description of adresses/locations

viking, it is an area away from anywhere with residences up for rent... the house has been up for rent for quite some time. if it is for a vacation, you'd need a car, there are nicer places around... not so isolated