We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

Hello again,

I know you can purchase wine/liquor at the duty free shop at the airport in Tahiti but where on the island of Moorea can you purchase booze... wine, liquor, champagne?

Do the grocery stores sell it? Liquor stores?

Also, we are taking a flight from Tahiti to Moorea... are we allowed those duty free liquor bottles in carry on?

Oh, what's the best wine to purchase? French? Can you purchase decent French champagne like Moet?

Thanks!!

Safari Mario Moorea
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Have a Nice Pearl
Gift & Specialty Shops
Moorea Water Games
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Water Sports, Boat Rentals, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Seattle
4 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

My wife and I are returning to Moorea next month to celebrate our 12th anniversary. We were there in 1996 for our honeymoon and 2001 for our 5 year anniversary. We planned to be there for our 10 year anniversary but had to postpone due to work reasons.

In our previous trips, we found that the "Moorea Costco" near the ferry terminal only carried rum from the West Indies. This was spiced rum that does NOT match well with fruit juice or cola (in our opinion).

Can anyone tell us if this market now sells rum like Bacardi Superior that we're used to? If not, we'll probably buy it in LAX from duty-free. BTW, we found excellent French wine at reasonable prices in FP on our earlier trips. Yes, we know times have changed. We just returned from Italy where we had to pay 21 dollars for a long island iced tea in Rome.

We'd appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

Muc...

I went on a booze fact finding mission when I was on Moorea in May. I don't remember seeing Bacardi at the Champion Toa market (Moorea Costco). But they did have a fair selection of Rums. Let me look for my old post with a list of the stuff and prices for LAX duty free and for the Champion Toa Market (the one near the ferry docks). I'll just bump up that thread to the top, so you can check it out. Hang on while I hunt it down for you.

Be prepared for everything to cost much more than when you went last because the exchange rate is HORRIBLE!!!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

You can buy liquor at Champion/Toa (near the ferry at Vaiare) at ABC Store in Le Petit Village, some liquor at Are Supermarche, and some of the small magazins sell liquor as well; some just sell wine and beer.

Be prepared to pay OUTRAGEOUS prices. The same bottle of Cutty Sark we buy at home for $27 costs the equivalent of $120 here... and the terrible exchange rate doesn't help. Bring whatever you can from home!

Seattle
4 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

Thanks LVPatti! I look forward to seeing your list.

We'll probably take Barbi's advice and bring some from home. Are we both allowed to bring in one liter of booze? If not, we might need to buy some there. We're staying nine nights in an OWB at the Sofitel and then five nights in a lagoon bungalow at the Le Meridien in Bora Bora.

Thanks again!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

Muc, the post with my list is the one titled "Liquor Prices for LAX Duty Free and Moorea". It's just a couple threads below this one right now.

If you think you need to bring a little more booze than allowed, you can pack a couple in your luggage and then buy a couple at Duty Free. They almost never check your luggage when you arrive. So they'd probably not be aware you have 2 bottles in your suitcase and 2 duty free ones in your hand. BUT...if you do get stopped at customs and they ask what you have, don't lie! Tell the truth. They may ask you to pay a duty on the ones in your luggage, but it's a lot better than getting caught in a lie about them.

All in all, if you can avoid having to buy your liquor over there, by all means do it. It's way beyond expensive to buy it there!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

You can bring more than one liter per person into Tahiti!!!

Per the official Tahiti Tourism Board Website:

"The general rule of thumb allows for up to two litres of wine OR two litres of spirits, 1 dozen beer and one carton of cigarettes per person."

"You are able to take food into Tahiti, so long as it has been vacuum-packed or sealed, ie. tins, packets etc., and the seal has not been broken"

sunny regards and happy cold cocktails!

shully

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

SO, in conclusion:

basically you can bring up to two liters per person of wine or sprits or beer. And cigarettes and cigars and energy bars and peanuts and potato chips and fritos and candy and ............

sunny regards,

shully

38. Re: BOOZE... where on Moorea can you purchase? Not resorts...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Maharepa