We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

Peterborough, Cambs
Level Contributor
134 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

We are planning to stay at the Moorea Pearl as a part of our honeymoon in 2008 - Our travel agent reccommends staying Half Board, but i was under the impression the the Moorea was close enough to walk to restaurants in the evening? - Am i right in thinking this?

What you guys reccommend? RO? BB? or HB?

Many Thanks in Advance.

James

Oslo, Norway
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

Hi James, we stayed at the Pearl in Moorea just a couple of months ago. We asked to get a meal plan when we arrived and the concierge told us not to bother as there are better places very nearby. Looking back this was definitely the best thing for us, we ate at the restaurant twice and didn’t find it ‘on par’ with anywhere else. Both quality food and service can be found only 5 mins away. For breakfast you’ll find many guests from the Pearl eating at Carmalines and my personal favorite restaurant was Le Sud. Great food, nice people. If you want to go elsewhere the majority of places will pick you up, just speak to the reception and they’ll fix it. A little tip, if you’re feeling adventurous, hire car and drive around the island where you can find small café type restaurants. We ate at one just past the Intercontinental (sorry don’t remember its name, not sure if it had one) but it was recommended by a local, I had the most amazing poison cru ever… have a great time.

Peterborough, Cambs
Level Contributor
134 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

Thanks for the speedy reply! So if we go room only there are enough places for breakfast and dinner within walking distance?

I would imagine we would hire a car at some point but not for the entire week, maybe only for a couple of days - i like to get out an explore but i dont like to spend my entire holiday driving!

What room type would you reccommend?

Thanks again

James

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

Congratulations to a wonderful choice of resort for yur honeymoon.

The Pearl is a wonderful Resort. I just stayed there in May.

I would also say don't get the meal plan. It is so easy to get to the restaurants and shops from the Pearl. You can always decide to buy the meals at the hotel as you feel like eating there. The meals that I did eat at the Resort where quite good. My favorite Restaurant is the Restaurant Aito, great food, very nice relaxed atmoshere.

They will pick you up and bring you back. Also while in Moorea consider taking Dr. Michael Pooles Whale & Dolphin watchng Tour on Mondays and Thursday. A wonderful experience.

Have a wonderful trip

Regards BO

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

Ia orana

The pearl's Location is ideal for a walk to he village of Maharepa. the bakery there with the coconut filled croissant is the best place to enjoy your breakfast with the locals ( at a lower price than at the hotel ) same thing for he marketing, banking, shopping etc,...

As indicated by Bohemien's, The Tour of Dr Michael Poole is an absolute Must for Whale and Dolphin watch around Moorea.

Meherio

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

Hi JB:

I skip the meal plan at the Pearl in Moorea. It's close to some shops and a few restaurants. Bring some snacks along to put in your room ie: chips, energy bars, alcohol from the duty free. Buy some mixers (ie: juice), and other things like bread and cheese to keep in your bungalow. Go out for croissants in the a.m. You will probably rent a car for a day to see the island. Going out for dinner part of the time as well.

sunny regards,

shully

Peterborough, Cambs
Level Contributor
134 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

Thank you all for your replies! - I'll definitly NOT be getting the meal plan!

So whats all this about The Tour of Dr Michael Poole? - is it something that needs to be prebooked? is it a pickup from the hotel? Is there a website?

Also is it worth paying the extra for a OWB?

I love to snorkel; is there easy access to the reef from the beach or would it be much better and easier straight from a OWB?

James.

Peterborough, Cambs
Level Contributor
134 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

I found the website: http://www.drmichaelpoole.com/ it looks like an excellant tour!

Our honeymoon starts on June 30th where we head to singapore then onto sydney and then to Moorea and finally New York. We will therefore be in Moorea early July, are we like to see Whales this time of year??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

Ia orana

To give you an idea, the first whales were spotted in Rurutu

(Australes Archipelago) at the end of the first week of July.

Reports for Moorea indicated spottings last week.

Historically the second/third week of July seems to be the wimnning ticket,

Following is a french website with chronology of the sightings and some spectacular photos:

baleinomane.net/…20jour.htm

And the photo Album:

http://www.baleinomane.net/cadre%20photo.htm

Enjoy

meherio

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

Ia orana

Goes without saying that you should have a Whale of a time with the Dr Poole's tour.

( Do not accept any imitation tours on Moorea, He is the real deal )

Personal photos on the tour at :

http://photos.yahoo.com/flytahiti

and open whales ( some shots taken from Temae beach on the reef side).

meherio

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moorea Pearl - Half Board or Room Only??

If you opt to upgrade to overwater be aware that the Regular overwaters face the shore and the resort. The Premium Overwaters face out into the lagoon. So, if it were me, I'd upgrade to the Premium catagory. Are you in a Garden with Pool right now? If so, these are wonderfully private and the pool is great!

sunny regards,

shully