We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing to take

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing to take

Hi,

Myself and my partner are visiting Nabq Bay in mid July for two weeks. We have never been to Egypt before (we usually go to Spain, etc.) so we have no idea about the clothing we need to take because they have a very different culture over in Egypt. Could I wear bikinis and skirts and stuff or would I have to be covered up??

Thanks in advance

Chloe

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing to take

Chloe you can wear bikinnis, mini skirts, vest tops etc in Sharm el Sheik, as its a tourist area and they are used to us. Maybe if you are doing any trips to any mosques etc which i did in Cairo you had to dress more conservative and cover arms and legs......linen trousers, long skirts etc

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing to take

I agree with the above but also Chloe keep in mind that the culture is not the same as ours so if you go out in the street i wouldn't go out wearing a bikini or a mini skirt as you will bring unwanted attention to yourself, on the beach of in the hotel a bikini is fine but i just wouldn't go outside in a bikini, i suppose just like you wouldn't walk down your street at home in a bikini. Other than that wear what you want, its a lovely place so enjoy your holiday

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing to take

Thank you! :) what sort of things should I wear when I am doing the quad bikes, camel rides, sand buggies, etc.? Sorry, its just I am used to holidaying in Spain so this is going to be totally new to me! So I am okay with bikinis and showing arms and legs in the hotel and at the beach but not walking down the streets?

Thanks

Chloe

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing to take

is walking around(shopping etc) ok in vest tops,shorts etc?

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,294 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing to take

Hi chloe

For quads etc I wear 3 quarter pants and a vest top, make sure you have plenty of sun screen on, it's hot in desert in july

If you visit cultural or religious sites you will need to cover your arms and legs, I usual just wear full length linen trousers and I light top with long sleeves

For every day out and about I wear what I would wear in any other country, dresses shorts strapped tops,

Go relax enjoy

Karen

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing to take

Id wear three quarter length pants if u have any. Just something comfortable and u dont mind getting dirty. When we travelled to cairo even though the temperature was near high 40's i wore linen pants and t shirt i was fine. I travelled late july. This year im going late june but i expected the temperature to b roughly the same. Main thing is enjoy!!!!!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing to take

yes its ok to shop in your strappy tops, shorts etc. just a tip regards the quad biking take a bandana or scarf which you can half cover your face with, the sand goes everywhere although some places will hand you a scarf to tie round your face and cover your mouth with

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing to take

Thanks so much everyone! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing to take

if you're going quadbiking make sure you have your sunnies with you, and a headscarf to wrap around your face as trust me, the sand gets everywhere! It's very dusty so maybe take some older clothes you aren't that fussed about getting dirty.

When wa;ling around Nabq Bay at night for example, I tend to wear maxi dresses or dresses that are knee length just incase it attracts any unwanted attention. In the daytime if I pop to the shops I'll just wear shorts and a vest. It's whatever you feel comfortable wearing, no one takes offence, but as the previous person mentioned, don't go wandering around in a bikini outside the hotel!

10. Re: Clothing to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Nabq Bay