We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

My friend booked a 3D/2N desert tour with them, but I am not sure whether its safe, as we are 2 girls, will be travelling with 1 tour guide and 1 cook?

Their website:

http://www.westerndeserttours.com/contact

The tour guide name is :Khaled Kandeel

Many Thanks

Oasis Egypt Safari
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Private Tours
Bahariya (Bahereya) Oasis
Geologic Formations, Specialty Museums
10 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

Hi there.

We are just back from the tour with Khaled (i.e. the Western Desert Tours that you put the link here) in November. We are two girls, from Vietnam, took a three-day two-night tour to sand dunes and White Desert. We first wondered the same thing but I never felt unsafe during the trip. Western Desert Tour and Khaled is highly recommended!

Enjoy your desert adventure!

Tan

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

How much did you pay for that trip?

Honestly I don't know about that company but tkontheroad sounds very happy with them.

Raleigh
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

Hi -

I am a single female traveler so I totally understand your concerns (and have to admit they are warranted in Egypt). I was in the Bahariya Oasis in October 2010 and did a fantastic White Desert safari with Desert Rose ecolodge. The owner is born Egyptian who lives in England so I was very comfortable discussing details with him. Western Desert is a hotel in the middle of town and surroundings are very...mmm..unpleasant. Like a place with dried blood allover where chickens are killed, or car repai shops. Western Desert's quote for safari and hotel stay was similar to one I got from Desert Rose, I just did not want to stay at Western Desert though (it's basically Motel 6, if you have been in the US). I wanted something more authentic and outside dirty Bawiti downtown so Desert Rose was a perfect place for me. They are on TripAdvisor too but under specialty lodging - if you want to check them.

Schaffhausen
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

Same thing for me. Khaled Kandeel from Western Desert Tours (www.westerndeserttours.com) and his cook have been very friendly, they know the desert very well and take good care of the environment.

If you're looking for an operator, Khaled Kandeel is highly recommended.

Meerssen
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

Yes, there is surely a Khaled Kaldeen of westerndeserttours.com! I had a three days, two nights tour in april 2011and it was great in anyway. A good balanced trip with all the highlights, but also some nice surprises in the Western part of The White Desert. He is professional in organisation and really loves his job. Not only a guide but also a good cook, and that in the middle of nowhere. His English is correct, a booking by email will be no problem. It is all inclusive and he was very patient with us as photographers..... So I can recommend him highly and I will go back next year in march 2012.

trikeri greece
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

When we decided to visit Egypt in April, 2011 we knew that a trip through the desert was a must. I decided to opt for a local guide rather than a large company and was not disappointed in choosing Western Desert Tours. We were able to customize an 8 day tour with Khaled, and highly enjoyed ourselves. The meals were great and Khaled and Hamouda treated us very well.

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

I have also been on Khaled’s Western Desert Tour and it was just amazing!

He organized our pick up in Cairo and a driver brought us to Baharyia where Khaled and his cook (and entertainer) welcomed us warmly.

The first night we spent in a wonderful little oasis called – second night we stayed in the great sand sea dunes and the third night we discovered the wide white Desert.

Khaled knows all these places by heart and has a lot of experience! Even for passionate photographers he always knows the best places to take a shot.

He really customized his tour to our wishes and left nothing out.

To keep us warm at night he had warm camel hair blankets with him.

Whenever we were hungry or thirsty Khaled’s cook could offer something. The Egyptian cuisine of the cook was all fresh cooked and really yummi.

The 4x4 was fully equipped (even with a satellite phone) and all worked fine with the papers at every check point.

Furthermore, Khaled and his cook cleaned up every place we have rested more than sufficient, he really cares about the environment.

All in all the three days where just perfectly organized and fun!

I highly recommend Khaled’s tours!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

Hello,

yes I have heard of this operator and I think they're good, although, it might be less personal because they are quite a big company. When I went alone I used Hamada at http://www.desert-safari-egypte.com/fr/ and including the transfer from Cairo he was about 300 pounds less. If that much difference is not an issue, I guess you can go with either one. Personally, my experience with Hamada so so freaking awesome that I'd recommend him, but I'm sure others are nice as well.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

Is it necessary to book beforehand? Or do you find tour operatos on reaching Bahariyya?

Sydney
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?

Don't get confused. Western Desert Tour is different company from Western Desert Hotel. The hotel's own tour brand is Western Desert Safari. I know because I stayed in the named hotel but did the safari with Khaled's Western Desert Tour. I concur what others said about the company.

While as someone has mentioned, you can find the cheaper operator, I chose Western Desert Tour based on their reputation and was happy with my decision since Khaled cares about his reputation.

Yes, you can find an operator in Bahariya, every man, boy, dog & cat will come after you to hook you up with a safari operator as soon as you arrive. So be prepared.

Reply to: Have anyone heard a local touroperator:Western Desert Tours?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bawiti