We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Before my trip to Otavalo, I arranged a private tour on horseback to some local communities in the mountains above Otavalo and Ibarra (a large city near Otavalo) - This was not arranged through a tour company but rather a local guy who works for a tour company but books private more intimate tours on his own near his hometown.... Not only was Henry (the guide) knowledgeable of the area, the culture, the landscape....he spoke fantastic English and was an extremely talented guide.

He picked us up from La Posada del Quinde in Otavalo at about 9am in a very nice SUV... very comfortable (even had bottles of water for us... ) - We drove about 30 minutes through Ibarra (where Henry grew up) to a small community called San Clemente.

We pulled up to the most beautiful little farmhouse - Very clean with lush gardens and a few horses, llamas and other animals roaming around. The owner, Juan, provided us with 3 horses - They were small mountain horses (Official breed is the Andean Horse, I believe) - they are only about 13 hands ... All 3 were in great shape, very well cared for. This was important to me, as I'm a horseback rider. They didn't have shoes (no roads were paved up there), but their feet were well maintained.

My father, Henry and I each got a horse and Juan decided he'd walk with us for the entire 3 hour trek up the mountain !! He and his 2 dogs accompanied us on the ride which I thought was really special.

We rode on dirt roads and on smaller trails past traditional high Andean farmhouses, saw women dressed in traditional clothing doing laundry outside and working in the yards, beautiful landscape of hillsides with clouds lifting off mountain faces... varying terrain, etc etc - Henry explained so much about the people, different vegetation... we stopped a few times to rest and take in the views. The ride was at our own pace.

We essentially did a large loop straight up and straight down ...meandering on the paths and roads created by the farming communities.

At the end of the ride, we returned to Juan's house where his wife was preparing a traditional lunch, complete with fresh Cuy for us to try. We had small purple potatoes, quinoa soup, chicken, avocado, tomato, some wonderful hot salsa, fruit juice, a fruit dessert, and of course, guinea pig to try.... it was the most delicious little feast!

By the time we finished eating, it was about 3pm. We were going to go visit some weavers in the area, but due to a sudden and extreme hail storm, Henry thought it was best to leave the mountain in case of mudslides.

Juan and his family couldn't have been nicer and the trip was more than worth it!!!

Henry returned us to the hotel by about 4.

...If you are looking for a more personal experience that allows you to get a combination of culture, scenery and high altitudes without the major workout (the horses do the work for you and are way more prepared to be up high!) - definitely send me a message and I'll pass along Henry's contact information.

This trip was truly special for both myself and my father. It was a great day trip that was made so easy by a great, experienced guide.

Just thought I'd share!

Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Hi,

I'd like Henry's contact information. We also will be staying at Posada Quinde and this sounds like a wonderful tour. We are only staying 1 night so do you think there is a way to shorten the ride a little to accomodate being able to visit the Otavalo market on Saturday for an hour or 2 before we have to leave at 4:00p.m.?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Hi Moonpie... I'll personal message you his e-mail and phone... luckily I took his business card. He is great and can work with you to design something that will be special for you.

salzburg
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Hello. We will be in Otavalo in December this year and I am looking for somebody to take care of us for a day and bring us back to Quito. Would you Henry be the man? He sounds very nice. What was his charge for the tour, do you remember?

I would love his contact details please.

Many thanks Regina

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Hello

I plan to take my family to the galapogos next summer and would probably fly into Quito and would like to go to the Otalvo market. I would love Henry's number and information on how to get ahold of him. Where did you stay before going to Otalvo. Thank you for the info.

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Your trip with Henry sounds amazing! My friends and i are here in Otavalo! We would like to contact Henry :-) please send me his contact info. My email is divinesoulquest@gmail.com. also we would like to know how much it costs. ?..much thanks.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Would love Henry's information. Will be in Quito next summer. next summer.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

If anyone would like Henry's info - please PM me. I think that prices arranged by individual local guides should be discussed with the guide.. so I don't really feel it's my place to post prices...but he is a very reasonable person who speaks fluent english.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Hello, my husband and I will be in Ecuador for 3 months starting Jan 13. The day trip you arranged with Henry sounds amazing, so we would greatly appreciate if you could forward his contact info. Thank you.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,101 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Marie, you can send Loveintheworld a private message requesting the info by clicking on her screen name, then clicking on Send Message on the left side of the page (below the blue-shaded box).

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: REPORT: Great day trip from Otavalo!!!

Hi all, yes send a message I'd be happy to share. Henry is also working on his own website as we speak.,, I am not sure if its up, but his email is Henry_2004ec@yahoo.com I just do not feel comfortable sharing his prices. That is really up to him as he is a local and I believe that should be between Henry and the client! Please message if u want extra details! 150 percent recommended