We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Otavalo area .. too much?

We're concluding a trip to Ecuador with a trip to the Northern Otavalo area. Is 3 days too much for that part.

We wanted to do a hike around the Cuicocha lake as well as do some hiking to local villages to see the various crafts (there seem to be plenty around the area). I am told that if one likes to hike there is a lot one can do.

Still I wonder - is 3 days too many? Of course, 1 of those 3 days will be to see the Saturday otavalo Market.

Please advice,

Thanks!

cheshire
Level Contributor
48 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Otavalo area .. too much?

We stayed in otavalo for 2 nights. One day was definitely taken up with the market if you don't want to rush it. On the second day we booked a tour with runa tupari which took in all the other things you mentioned, however since we had our kids with us we didn't hike around laguna cuicocha which I would have loved to do, but only drove up there and did the boat ride. We could have easily spent another day hiking around the mojanda area. The whole countryside around there is beautiful and in my opinion well worth spending 3 days if you have the time.

Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Otavalo area .. too much?

Thank you. I thought as much. I was told that you can trek a lot in beautiful Andean countrysides without the heights of Cotopaxi.

I too am interested in doing some tours with Runa Tupari. So far email/IM/Skype/Phone calls - have yielded no responses. How did you get in touch with them. My final shot is to have the manager at the hotel in Otavalo drop by their office (which she has kindly offered to do).

cheshire
Level Contributor
48 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Otavalo area .. too much?

I contacted them via their website and they replied (albeit with maybe 2-3 days delays). Make sure you check your junk mail - all the emails from them seemed to be regarded as junk by my email filter. The reply email came from ventas@runatupari.com. I would definitely recommend them - their guide was excellent and we also benefitted from a Swedish gap year student who did a lot of the translations for my husband and kids leaving me free to chat to the guide and practice my Spanish! If there are enough of you, they will pick you up directly from your hotel (our family of 4 got a private trip for the same price advertised on their website).

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Otavalo area .. too much?

Manima,

There are plenty of activities to do on a 3 day trip to Otavalo. DONT forget Condor Park. Animal market, arbol lechero, Agato weavers, Peguche fall, Cotocachi leather and more...

Hiking the Cuicocha rim takes 6 hours and is strenous. Mojanda is nice but not very adviceable, there had been a few robberies there.

Try tour companies on this forum. There are plenty of reliable ones in here thay respond fast to your emails.

Saludos.

Dennis Yepez

Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Otavalo area .. too much?

Thanks for the reply on Runa TUpari. They have replied today.

Thank you for your note on Mojanda - we were planning to that with Runa Tupari - but probably won't now - unless the hotel advices otherwise.

Thanks!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Otavalo area .. too much?

We just returned from Otavalo - Did 3 nights... I really don't think you need much time in the market at all - I found it to be very touristy....

One thing we did was booked a private horseback tour way up into the hills above Otavalo and Ibarra, which included traditional lunch in a farmers home. It was absolutely fabulous and a really unique experience. We were gone from about 10-4.... extremely interesting and NOT your typical tourist experience.

send me a message if you have questions on this!

7. Re: 3 days in Otavalo area .. too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, June 07, 2012