We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

Which Guayaquil hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

serious taxi issue. do not take taxi from street. have wherever you are call a cab,

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

What did happen to you?

Could you please be more specific?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

same situation u always hear about. rouge taxi with bandit friends in another car, guns, robbery, screaming at us, drive around for 45 minutes, Dumped in the middle of no where. Guayaquil is a HELL HOLE with nothing of any value or interest in it.--though the airport is nice.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

Certainly, you had a hellish experience, but to characterize Guayaquil based on this is illogical and unfair to the city. Chicago has had a terrible rash of shootings lately--would you describe it as a hellhole because of it? I wouldn't.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

Im sorry for that! People should not visit guayaquil! Is not safe! Is the only city in ecuador I recommend not to visit...

Guayaquil is just to spend a few hours after take yout flight back home or to galapagos...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

Sharem57, I'm sorry you had to go through such an awful experience.

I disagree with Ihgec2009's comment that Guayaquil is not safe and is only good for its airport. There are a number of good tourist attractions in the downtown area, including the boardwalk Malecon 2000, a restaurant/bar district called Las Peñas on the side of a big hill that offers great views of the city, the Metropolitan Cathedral, and the Iguana Park, among others. These areas are safe for tourists and are well taken care of by the city.

On the other hand, I agree with sharem57's comment that you should not take a taxi hailed from the street. If you need a taxi, you or someone else should have one dispatched to you by directly calling the company. The yellow taxis that have a green sign on top that say "Ejecutivo" are the safest and will not even pick a person up on the street--they are only permitted to pick up people who have called for a cab. This will help to ensure that you will be traveling safely and with a professional driver.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

Before this incident happened in Guayaquil (the day before) I did visit the MALCON 2000 and Las Penas. I was incredibly underwhelmed by their tourist value. These venues were at best OK and really lacked any unique attributes. I don’t think I am becoming a jaded world traveler. The globe is filled with glorious and amazing spots with breathtaking experiences to be had. Guayaquil, to me, for me, at the end of the day---lacks across the board. I will not deny that my perspective is in fact colored by the barrel of that gun stuck in my neck for 1/2 hour.

QUITO on the other hand (and I am here now) is fun and interesting, clean and approachable. I am enjoying this ciudad very much. Had some really cool and unique experiences in the few days I have been here..

it was a tough decision but I am glad i stayed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

I will admit that sharem57 is right that there are many places in the world, including many right in Ecuador, that are better than Guayaquil. I personally like Guayaquil, but there are also many destinations located within a short drive from the city that are truly glorious and amazing.

Quito is a pretty long trip from Guayaquil, but I'm sure it was worth it--it's also a great city. I'm glad you stayed in Ecuador too!

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
11 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

I must admit, I stayed in Guayaquil for a week and there wasn't much there. Quito, on the other hand, is fabulous. Yes, that's another thing, don't take cabs from the streets, always either phone for one from a safe location, or get one from a taxi stand cause it could be dangerous. The point is, always make sure someone knows you're in that cab. I've actually made a point of writing the number down and handing it to someone, so the driver sees of course. In S. America, kids work in teams of two or three to get your money. Distract someone (by dropping their coffee in front of you or something) who has left a bag on the table, the other guy picks it up while you're distracted, and before you know it, you're out your money and your passport. I've seen it happen.

Safe travel everybody. I wrote about almost being kidnapped in Peru on my blog. I thought I was a goner with that one!

www.womentravellingalone.blogspot.com.

9. Re: kidnapped and robbed at gun point in my face

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, December 15, 2013