We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Ecuadorian Dress in Guayaquil

Which Guayaquil hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Traditional Ecuadorian Dress in Guayaquil

I'm going on a trip to the Galapagos in May with a stopover in Guayaquil for a day. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place in Guayaquil that I can get a traditional Ecuadorian dress, similar to those seen in Otavalo? Thank you!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional Ecuadorian Dress in Guayaquil

The indigenous peoples of Ecuador have very strong cultural ties. How they dress depends on which village they're from. It could be as subtle as the pattern of the sash around their waists, or the types of beads the women wear, or the weaving style of the ponchos. The Otavaleñas wear long dark skirts, usually black (though I've seen some wool pinstripes), a white embroidered blouse with puffy sleeves, and piles of gold glass beads around their necks. Their sandals resemble espadrilles and look really comfy; wish I could find my size!

In other words, it's possible there's a gift shop there that sells the blouses, but you won't find a dress.

2. Re: Traditional Ecuadorian Dress in Guayaquil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, October 19, 2012