We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

Springfield, NJ
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

After many months of researaching and researching and planning, and more planning, next week we are finally leaving for our long-awaited trip. I think I am researched out.

I have been trying to find the most current opening and closing hours of the various museums in Varazdin, but I have come up with different hours. We would also like to know how much time is needed to visit the various sites and walk around at leisure.

Thanks much.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

What museums, maybe I can find the most current hours for you.

Springfield, NJ
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

Well, I guess not all sites are museums. It would be Varazdin Castle, the cathedral, the old homes that are now being used to show art collection, and whatever else the old town has to offer. We would also like to walk through the town to look at the architecture.

In addition to visiting Varazdin, on the same day we are going to visit Tracoscan and Veliki Tabor, and we are trying to decide whether we would have time to also visit Kumrovec, Tito's birthplace. (And we do need time for a nice lunch.) We do not want to rush through Varazdin and the castles. According to Michelin, the travel time -- leaving from and returning to Zagreb -- without visiting Kumrovec, should be approximately 3-1/2 hours. If we go to Kumrovec, if my memory serves me correctly, it will probably be 4 hours. We will be renting a car with a driver, so hopefully we will not get lost. Also, if you have been to Tracoscan and Veliki Tabor -- and for that matter, Kumrovec -- how much time do you think we will need at each to comfortably see each castle? We really want to visit each site; not just run through them.

Originally I was planning to stop off at Kumrovec first, then Veliki Tabor, Tracoscan and then Varazdin, but then I read somewhere that the cathedral and castle in Varazdin close early afternoon -- I do not remember the exact time -- and then another place I read at 17:00.

I want to thank you for helping us with regard to this aspect of our trip. It is really most appreciated.

ellie

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

Nothing is big in Croatia, our cities, our castles – all is small scale and doesn’t take long to see them. Still, seeing all this you planned in one day is too stressful in my opinion.

As for Varazdin hours, they are pretty odd (welcome to Croatia):

Stari Grad (castle museum):

Tue-Fri 10-17, Sat-Sun 10-13, Mon closed

I’d suggest you to stop by and see Miljenko Stancic, a Varazdin native painter collection; and the exhibition in Sermage palace (both are on the same square)

Sermage

Tue-Fri 10-14, Sat-Sun 10-13, Mon closed

The cathedral (Sv Marija) is open shortly before and after the daily holy mass (guess in the morning and around 6 pm). Also see the presentation of traditional crafts on the square in front of Ursulines convent, daily 10-16. For a traditional meal stop by in Zlatna guska (Golden Geese) restaurant.

Veliki Tabor (daily, 10-18) will not take long, it’s more spectacular from the outside (it is being refurbished), but is still my fave Croatian castle.

Trakoscan (daily, 9-18) deserves at least a few hours, not only to see the collection inside, but to enjoy the view from the terrace, take a walk around – there’s a lake beneath and the surrounding nature is beautiful.

Kumrovec also takes several hours, it is in fact an ethno village (Tito’s is just one of the houses there) with traditional way of life and crafts shown in an interesting way.

Springfield, NJ
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

Zagrebpresident - You have done a fantastic job. The information is most helpful. I will now rearrange my itinerary: Varazdin first. Hope to arrive by 9:00 a.m.

Now, if only the bus companies ran more buses between Plitvice and Split late afternoon on Sundays. If we miss the 15:45 bus I guess we will have to catch the bus to Zadar and then connect there with a bus to Split. Do you know of any other way we can handle it if the bus to Split does not stop for us, or whatever? Do you think that a tour group from Split to Plitvice, returning to Split the same day, would take us to Split for a fee?

It is too bad that one of the tour group companies does not have a program where a person(s) could pay for the tour and arrive at Plitvice with, let's say, Company A and then after the tour the person(s) could continue on to their next destination with Company A's partner, or whomever. From a traveler's point of view, it sure would save a lot of headaches when planning. Oh, well, it is a thought.

Again, thank you ever so much for all of your help. You have made the planning so much easier.

We will try the restaurant that you have suggested.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

I know there's a lot of illogic stuff you must count on when visiting Croatia. Let's say it's part of our… charm?

You plan to arrive to Plitvice that very morning, tour the park and catch the bus to Split? Split bus station lists that departure from Plitvice at 15.45. Plus there are two late evening departures, 23.55 (arriving to Split early morning at 5 am), and 00:55 (arriving Split 5.20 am).

As for Plitvice – Zadar, this is Sunday schedule, departures: 09:45, 10:55, 13:23, 13:50, 14:45, 17:23. Late evening departures to Split: 22.30 and 22.45h.

If everything else fails, see with the park personnel to arrange you transport to Split. I’m SURE any of tours heading to Split with spare seats will take you onboard.

Springfield, NJ
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

zagrebpresident - You are absolutely fantastic!!!!

In the likelihood that we miss our bus to Split, for whatever reason, I now feel so much more comfortable that there is another alternative: a tour bus to split.

I again want to thank you for your prompt reply and your help. And another "again": We really DO appreciate your help. You have been of tremendous assistance.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

Hey you're welcome, have a great time here

Acton Ma
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

Are Stari Grad (castle museum) and Sermage Palace still closed on Mondays? We're scheduled to give a concert Monday evening April 20 in the Church of St. John, and were hoping to spend the afternoon in Varazdin before our concert.

9. Re: How Much Time is Need to Tour Comfortably

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Varazdin