We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trogir

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Trogir

Hi

we're about to fly to Split for our 25th wedding anniversary. Will stay for 5 nights 6 - 11 July

We're staying in northern Ciovo about 1.5 kms from Trogir. Want a very relaxing time but could do with some tips

a) Dining tips particularly fish in ciovo or trogir

b) Do we need a car as we want to totally chill - do not intend to do much travelling (Dubrovnik will have to wait till the next time) but for local sight seeing

c) if we do get a car shall we wait till we get there

d) are there any cash machines in ciovo or would we need to go to Trogir.

Many thanks for reading this

Anne

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trogir

Hi,

I stayed on Ciovo last summer and it was really lovely... Ciovo has a few lovely little restaurants and I'd particularly recommend the restaurant located right in the harbour area (I'm sorry I can't remember the name but it's one of two restaurants and has a large covered out side seating area).

We didn't get a car as we were within walking distance of the beach and there is a regular (every 1/2 hour) ferry service to Trogir which has a lot more restaurants, a market, shops and bars etc. It's quite touristy though and the restaurants are obiviously more expensive than on Ciovo.

I don't recall seeing a cash machine on Ciovo so it would be safer to get cash in Trogir.

It's about an hour by bus to Split from Trogir (the bus station is near the market) and it's well worth a visit, especially for the beautiful sea views and the ancient palace.

I hope this is helpful to you- enjoy your stay!

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trogir

Okrug Gornji certiainly has at least 1 cash machine, oppositie the Tommy supermarket by the Tourist Office on the little square. it also has a pharmacy, post office, another supermarket, cafes and an internet cafe. The restaurant mentioned in an earlier post is also the one on the harbour at Okrug Gornji and I would also reccommend it, plus the one over the road. Fish is good but can be pricey, the risottos are fantastic.

The local buses are good in that they run to time etc. and there is a longer summer timetable which would be running in July. This means you can also eat in Trogir - which you will obviously visit - and return on the last bus which is normally after 10pm in the summer. If you use the local buses to get into Trogir then you can get the newer buses (really coaches) into Split for the day.

However, you may not be in Okrug but staying near Slatine/Arbanija and I don't know details there.

Re the car, if you only want to do Trogir and Split you really don't need it. If you want to go further afield, such as the national park at Krka you might (although trips go there as well). I have only ever rented from the airport and used Travelsupermarket.com for competition, but I have seen hoardings advertising car hire. However, in September I didn't see any signs of actual cars to hire. Probably one of the travel agencies could help? Personally for 5 days I wouldn't; go on boat trips, visit Split and Trogir and chill out!

3. Re: Trogir

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:40 am, May 29, 2008
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trogir

There are a couple of car hire agencies by the main harbour in Trogir. We hired a car last June to visit Krka National Park and once you get out of Trogir itself, which is surprisingly busy, the driving is straightforward.

Cost wise if there are 2 or more of you it is slightly cheaper than an organised trip. If you want to take an organised trip check the departure dates before you go as they were only once a week when we were there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trogir

I see Iko2000 is telling you it's no good hiring a car because of the jams. S/he also told me it's not safe to cycle and I should to hire a scooter and sent me a private message advertising scooter hire. Me thinks there might be an ulterior motive!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
957 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trogir

Hi,

for the fish - I eat the best scampi cardinal in restaurant Mirine - it is in the center of the town; I recommend also the restaurant ACY - cross the bridge - Trogir-Ciovo- and you can find it on the right side

I would rent a car; Iko's right - there is a traffic jam on Ciovo but it's not so terrible; don't worry - you can't miss half a day for 1.5km - maybe 15-30 minutes; you can wait, but google it and compare the prices, then choose the best option...

enjoy Trogir

Jeanne

Trogir
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trogir

well Jeanie it just depends for how long u wanna b inside a car on ur vacation. Trogir growth in last few years , so u have situations of constant jams during all year. Thats why the goverment decide to build new bridge. Mrs flatcoat i think that u choose best position on Ciovo island coz on the south side of Ciovo is nearby ur location.My opinion is that on that part u have the best condition for relaxed vacation due to open sea and not so much public beaches , practicly ur alone surrounded by nature and only 1km away u have huge public beach on Saldun bay.

For mrs clueless , it s really same to me , im into all that mentioned business, but my primary goal here is to help ppl with advice.

Trogir
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trogir

Sry , mrs Suelees

9. Re: Trogir

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, September 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Trogir