We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions from Rovinj

Which Rovinj hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
31 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Excursions from Rovinj

We (two adults) are going to Rovinj next week, and won't be hiring a car. Has anyone done any of the excursions listed on the Rovinj tourist board website? (I'm assuming these are organised trips, not just suggestions for people to do on their own!) e.g. trips to caves, off-road exploring of Istria, Lim channel. I was surprised it didn't list a fortified towns excursion, which we'd like to do. Any recommendations?

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions from Rovinj

Well, I can recommend visiting the amazing Grožnjan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZhjAH3Nh8) and somewhat disappointing but still more than interesting Motovun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od8WboFtnWU). The links are for my own movies and you can see some pictures here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/98532991@N04/sets/72157634945583018/

But I went there on my bike. :)

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions from Rovinj

Yes, the excursions listed will be organised ones. We hired a car to visit the hill towns, as going on the excursion to one or two, I think including Groznjan, and a truffle tasting, the excursion was in the tourist offices in town, would have been twice as expensive for two of us and we wouldn't have seen half as much going by the itinerary. The full day going to the Postojna caves and the Lipica Stud in Slovenia is worthwhile if you have the time, we did that years ago. There are plenty of boat trips to choose from when you are there going up the Lim Fjord, either full or half day. Towns such as Porec and Pula are easily reached by local bus. But to see the best of inland Istria, you do need a car.

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions from Rovinj

Thank you for the tips. I hadn't thought of going to Slovenia, but will investigate. I'm trying to psych myself up to hiring a car for a day or two, but I only have an old-style driving licence without a photo. Do you know if car hire firms accept those? I suppose I can only try. Can you recommend anywhere?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions from Rovinj

A search on the net doesn't say you CANNOT hire with an old style licence, but I hope somebody knows for sure. Please believe me, if I can drive there anyone can, the roads and traffic in Istria are truly nothing to worry about. After my first 3 minutes of white knuckle it was very enjoyable. We did Groznjan, Motovun and Hum from Rovinj, it was a comfortable day from 9 to 6 without rushing. Plenty of time in each town to amble, truffle taste in shops and also to take in the views driving between. I prebooked on the net with Vetura rent a car near the Hotel Park. I have no comparisons to go on, but it was very easy with them, and the car was excellent.

Edited: 2:42 am, August 29, 2013
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions from Rovinj

We didn't hire a car but wished we had to visit inland Istria as our organised tour did not give us enough time. We have hired cars all over the world with just our paper licenses so am sure Croatia is no different! Enjoy.

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursions from Rovinj

There's lots to do in and around Rovinj, whether organised excursions or all on your own!

Have a fantastic time!

7. Re: Excursions from Rovinj

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 02, 2014