We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rovinj>Zagreb/Coupla Qs

Which Rovinj hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rovinj>Zagreb/Coupla Qs

Hi all -- think I've read a bus from Rovinj to Zagreb takes 5 hours...is that right? Is it easy enough (and how much shorter) to hire a car and drive to Zagreb ourselves or to make it even easier, would we be able to hire a driver to take us (and any suggestions on that)?

2nd Q: how does the itinerary below seem and 3) is there a bus/train to get from Bled to Rovinj or is driving the best option? Again, not against driving myself but also may want to go the easy route and hire a driver if there is no good public transpo option. Thoughts?

23-24 Aug: arrive ZAG (stay at Esplanade)

25-26 Aug: LJU (taking train from ZAG to LJU) (hotel choice pending)

27 Aug: LJU/side trip to Postojna/Predjama

28 Aug: LJU to Bled (bus) (stay at Vila Bled)

29-31 Aug: Bled to Rovinj (stay at Monte Mulini)

1 Sept: Rovinj to ZAG

2 Sept: depart

Hvala!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rovinj>Zagreb/Coupla Qs

Use car rental for entire trip and make your life easy! You might save couple of bucks going with public transport. But, if you stay in Esplanade, you don't want to cheat on transportation. Using rental car, you will be able to make it so good. Driving in Slovenia and Croatia is easy. (just watch on speed limit - Slovenian police will do their best to catch you - that's how they finance themselves and it's their special joy to stop car with Croatian tags). Ljubljana has some really good hotels.

One of the best hotels is Grand Union hotel in downtown Ljubljana. Great location. I haven't been in it more than 20 years. But, it was always top hotel.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rovinj>Zagreb/Coupla Qs

for this route and such a short time, do yourself a favour and take a car - you could stop wherever you want to, and travel the distances much more easily and faster. you can contact the Esplanade and/or Monte Mulin to arrange it for you anywhere. there's highways all the way, well marked. also, if travelling to Bled and Postojna, I'd strongly suggest you travel from Zagreb directly to Bled without stopping in Ljubljana, and then from Bled to Ljubljana, then stop in Postojna on the way Rovinj. You can do Ljubljana-Postojna-Rovinj on 1 day, without a problem.

With a car, you will have many more options for visit, particularly the little inland hilltop towns in Istria with beautiful views.. When in Rovinj, make sure you visit Pula, once an ancient Roman centre, with a still well preserved amphitheatre, forum, temple, archeological museum...

otherwise, there's buses from Rovinj to Zagreb taking 3-3.5 hrs, check www.akz.hr

Seattle
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rovinj>Zagreb/Coupla Qs

Thank you for the suggestions; will take hiring our own car into consideration. In 2009, I drove from DBV to Montenegro along the coast to Kotor and Budva, then all the way back to get to Orebic to the ferry for Korcula and back to DBV without any problem, but I understand the roads (with special tariffs?) are different in Slovenia plus there would likely be an extra fee for hiring car in one country and returning in another. Also, how winding/high are the roads around Bled?

I looked at that bus link but no schedule was popping up for me on the 1 Sept. date. Could it be that there is no bus from Rovinj to Zagreb on a Sunday?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,560 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rovinj>Zagreb/Coupla Qs

for buses, since they don't have such an 'advanced' system as showing itineraries 3 months ahead, check on the nearest weekdays. the itineraries in September will be pretty much the same.

If you drove in Montenegro, you will have even less issues around Lake Bled...

Edited: 11:55 am, July 08, 2013
5. Re: Rovinj>Zagreb/Coupla Qs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 10, 2014