We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EU VAT refund - possible between Venice & Rovinj ?

East Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
EU VAT refund - possible between Venice & Rovinj ?

My wife and I are

planning how to get from Venice to Rovinj in a few weeks.

Has anyonw out there in

TripAdvisorLand--non-EU-folksm, that is... bought anything in the EU and needed to

get the EU VAT paperwork stamped...say, when traveling by bus, likely

at customs on the border crossing between Slovenia and Croatia?

I imagine this will all change soon, when Croatia VAT becomes EU VAT

roundabout July 1st via the country´s acceding into the EU.

However...I just want to know what to expect and how to ensure I don´t

lose the chance to get those funds returned!

IThanks, All! --P

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EU VAT refund - possible between Venice & Rovinj ?

to get the paperwork stamped, you'll need to do it at the last customs check before entering Croatia; that is, if travelling by bus, at the Slovenian customs, and if by boat, with the Italian customs in Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
East Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EU VAT refund - possible between Venice & Rovinj ?

Thanks, happybypleasure ! This info. helps a lot... --P

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: EU VAT refund - possible between Venice & Rovinj ?

I suggest telling the bus driver you need to stamp VAT papers as soon as you get to the bus. If using the Pasjak border crossing (SLO-CRO) it's done ni one of of those booths, no problem. Still, let the bus driver know, he will know to wait for you and might even tell you where to go exactly.

Btw, you need your passport to get the stamp. If going by bus, they will usually collect your passports first. In some cases, the driver doesn't even give them back untill you clear the other police officer(s). So they take the passports for ie Slovenian police and give them back once you enter Croatia. Another reason why you should tell the driver about VAT papers. So when you clear the Slovenian police, take the passport, get the stamp and proceed. Should take less than 2 min. If there's a line at the border, ask the driver if you should get off the bus and try getting the stamp before the passport check. It's always best to talk to the driver, especially when it comes to Slovenian border police.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
4. Re: EU VAT refund - possible between Venice & Rovinj ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 09, 2014