We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses to and from Rovinj

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Buses to and from Rovinj

I am truly quite confused with the Croatian bus system - the duration for similar destinations can vary wildly and the departure timings seem to defy explanation.

Firstly, I am wondering if anyone can personally confirm that AutoTrans (www.autotrans.hr/en-us/red-voznje-i-cjenik) runs a Zagreb-Rovinj bus at 0800 in the morning taking only about 3 hours. I am worried that it is a error in the timetable since almost all other bus routes take some 5 hours to cover the same distance (even those with very few stops!)

Next, I am also confused why does the Rijeka - Rovinj bus take so long. Most of the routes I found take some 2 hours to cover the distance. And also, are there any morning buses from Rijeka to Rovinj in the summer - it seems that all I managed to find are departures in the dead of the morning and then the next bus at 11!

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
953 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses to and from Rovinj

Autotrans website is not very good. Use www.akz.hr and you will see all stops on the route, times look good to me. From Rijeka, you can take a bus to Pula at a sensible time in the morning, then on to Rovinj

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses to and from Rovinj

Zagreb-Rovinj in 3 hours by a bus does sound a bit narrow to me but it's probably the low season schedule. Last Octobre, Rijeka-Zagreb by car took me about 1:35. From Rijeka's bypass (at Škurinje) to Lučko toll. From-To actual bus stations it would be at least another 15 minutes. Now, I don't drive like a lunatic :) and perhaps a bus could still do it in under 2 hours. Still, from Rijeka to Rovinj in just 1 hour... :)

In all fairness, I must say I haven't ridden the bus. But if you find a bus which takes a lot longer, it may be skipping the highway and using the old road. Which is absolutely beautiful (Gorski Kotar part) but does take forever. And that's your answer to "similar destinations" issue - the roads aren't the same and some can be narrow and very busy. Additional stops make it wose, of course.

Btw, Pula-Rovinj bus is supposed to take 40-45 minutes for a 35 km ride. Still, if you're used to a right-side driving, I would strongly suggest you rent a car in Istria. It'll allow you to visit all the best places, not just Rovinj.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses to and from Rovinj

I have looked different online timetable and they all agree that there is no bus from Rijeka to Rovinj in the morning after 6am. I read on this thread: fodors.com/community/europe/croatia-bus-ques… that not all routes are posted online. I am wondering if anyone can confirm that.

4. Re: Buses to and from Rovinj

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rovinj