We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day itinerary from Rovinj

Which Rovinj hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
one day itinerary from Rovinj

we are arriving to Rovinj the 3rd week of September and will be renting a car for 1 day to visit the hilltop villages, We are however wondering what would be the best itinerary to follow to try and avoid the crowds when buses arrive. We plan on a very early start and have on our list: Porec,Motovun,groznjan,, Zavrsje ,Hum , Drague..

also where would be the best place to have lunch along the way? Thks in advance!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day itinerary from Rovinj

I would plan to visit Motovun first to try to avoid the crowds. Note that there will be a guy in a booth at the bottom of the hill giving "tickets" to park further up. It is inexpensive. Only local traffic is allowed in town so you must park on the way in. We often get very close to the entrance. The views from Motovun are amazing! Then you can do Groznjan (this is a great town - you can easily spend a couple of hours there) and to Zvarsje. It is almost deserted and tiny but I recommend it because the views of it on a hilltop are dramatic and lovely. It is very atmospheric. It is also ruined but it is surprising how many interesting photo ops there are of this teeny place. It will only take you half an hour or so but still worth it in my opinion if you want to see varied hilltop villages.

If you still have the time you can drive to Buzet and down to Hum. It, too, is tiny but so perfect it seems almost like a fairy tale village. It has a couple of good shops and again, gorgeous views. It is a pain to get from there to anywhere, really, as you will need to go back up to Buzet and down to Draguc. There are tiny "roads" that are merely tracks and unpaved. They are fun to explore but not so fun when you have a packed day. OR you could miss Hum and Draguc and see Gracisce which is south east of Pazin. It is another favourite of mine and is getting a major facelift. You should see the views in spring when the acacia trees are blooming! It is a veil of white.

As far as lunch goes, Groznjan may be the place if you do Motovun then Groznjan as it may be lunch time. But it is not really known for its food. There are a couple of places to eat in town but we don't any more. You could maybe eat back in the Motovun area if you are interested in truffles. If you do go over to Hum and Draguc, Buzet has great places. Vrh is fabulous. Hum has a cute little Konoba that overlooks the valley and has basic home-cooked food such as homemade pasta with truffles or wild boar ragout. Draguc has basically one bar - that's it - so don't plan to eat there. Draguc will literally take minutes to see. My favourite part of it is the view from the road. It is so very pretty.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: one day itinerary from Rovinj

thank you so much for all this info... it makes me want to be there tomorrow!!!! one month to the day and we will be there !

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day itinerary from Rovinj

Awesome! And we will be there for the month of October, just after you.

There are awesome places to eat in Istria but as your time is so precious I won't bother describing them. Blu and Monte in Rovinj are fabulous. So is Masera, on the outskirts of town (you'll need a car). It is a recent discovery of ours and we are very impressed. A good friend of ours who lives there took us there. The presentation and food are excellent, as is the value. You get a lot for your money there.

Have a wonderful, wonderful time!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: one day itinerary from Rovinj

thks for sharing this info on restaurants, we for sure will look them up as we loooove to eat ;)

any recommendation for a centrally located bed and breakfast in Rovinj?

also is Drague worth a detour before making our way to Motovun? after the hill top villages we will be heading towards Plitvice

Rovinj, Croatia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: one day itinerary from Rovinj

The trip to Plitvice takes about 4 hours.

If you intend to sleep in Plitvice making the trip in Istria makes sense. You can't do both in one day.

You might also consider a less touristic route and visit Svetvincenat, Gracisce, Pican, than along the shore: Plomin, Brsec and Opatija before arriving in Rijeka and take the highway to Plitvice.

I suggest this route only if later you will have the time to visit the towns suggested by chefathome which are all very nice. Or you might want to do one route going to Plitvice and another returning back to Rovinj if you plan to do so.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: one day itinerary from Rovinj

HI inforovinj, thks for the input, From Plitvice we are continuing on to Trogir so we wont be coming back to Istria,

if we get an early start from Rovinj is it realistic to visit Drague, Motovun, Groznjan, zvarsje, Buzet , Hum and around 5 pm start our way towards Plitvice?

If we had to skip something what would it be?

and from which of this village is it the easiest to get to the road leading to Plitvice?

thk you!

Rovinj, Croatia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: one day itinerary from Rovinj

Hi coco h,

I suggest you to skip Draguc since if you go North towards Groznjan Draguc is slightly off the road.

From Rovinj to Groznjan it takes 1.10 hours. If you make breakfast and coffee there you might need 1 hour.

Then you go to Motovun and you are there in 25 minutes. Since you cannot park your car on the top, you might need another hour to visit Motovun.

After Motovun you go to Buzet and it takes 30 minutes. Another 30 to 40 minutes to walk through the old town of Buzet and then to Hum where you can have lunch and head to Plitvice.

Buzet to Hum 30 minutes.

Depending on when you plan to leave Rovinj you can make your plans.

The times I gave you are very tight.

It would be better to have more time since those are all places that are worth much more than just a 30 minutes visit.

Good luck!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day itinerary from Rovinj

We will also be in Rovinj in mid September and taking a day trip to the hill towns. This advice is wonderful!

9. Re: one day itinerary from Rovinj

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 27, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Rovinj
Recent Conversations