We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving around Istria, Croatia

2 posts
Save Topic
Driving around Istria, Croatia

Hello,

My sister and I are travelling from India- and wanted to explore the Istrian region for around 3 days. Since we have no experience of driving in Europe (which has entirely different rules from driving in India), we were wondering whether it is possible to hire a chauffeur/driver? from where and how to do this (we will be coming into the region from Zagreb).

Finally, if I were to drive in this region for the first time by myself- how easy is it?

5 replies to this topic
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving around Istria, Croatia

Croatia is one of the easiest countries I've driven in (including Istria) but do look out for drivers crossing the center line into your lane on curves. All non-EU residents legally require an International Driver's Permit for driving in Croatia. Chances of it being requested are low but it's best to have, just in case. Some car rental companies require it.

Outside of July and August you can often find yourself to be the only driver on the road for long stretches.

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving around Istria, Croatia

I had indian colleagues driving in europe and they said it was very relaxing compared to India.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving around Istria, Croatia

Certain that you will find driving in Croatia to be a wise choice.

Be alert for Pedestrians

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving around Istria, Croatia

Driving on the opposite side of the road can be a serious challenge and especially if you keep the car in which you sit on the "wrong" side as you actually sit to the edge of the road instead of to the middle. I can only assume it's a daunting task for inexperienced drivers and surely something to consider. Visiting in the peak season (July and August) would surely make it even more of a challenge as the roads are far busier. But I do think that no road and city will be comparable to India's. And perhaps you might stick to highways and open roads (easier to navigate) and then use taxis inside the cities.

If you'd be arriving by plane and then renting a car here, keep in mind the steering wheel would be on the left and if you can't find an automatic the shifter would be used by your right hand. I'm sure you know, just pointing it out as it can definitely cause you problems.

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving around Istria, Croatia

if you need a driver just send an inquiry to this address info@goflygo.eu

best regards

Edited: 11:44 am, June 21, 2018
Reply to: Driving around Istria, Croatia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted