We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May or September

Which Porec hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
May or September

We are thinking of booking for Porec next year, could go with some advice as to which will be the warmest mid May or mid September also coulld anyone give an idea how much costs are to eat out and drink prices?

Thanks

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May or September

Good question. My husband and I go each May and October as they are our favourite months. We own a house in Istria as our first trip there was so amazing that we decided later we just had to do it. Anyway, we know Porec nearly inside out. Both months are warm - actually, they can be downright hot. Even in October we've had a lot of hot days. I would say maybe September would be warmer as far as sea temperatures as August is usually very hot. May is sort of starting to heat up at the end of April.

I would say that to eat out would be about 25%-33% less than the UK). Fresh fish, however, is expensive and is sold by weight. You can eat pizza in Porec for 10-20 euros, pasta/risotto same, seafood dishes and fish anywhere from 15-50 euros. It varies a lot because the cuisine is varied. There are a few good restaurants in Porec but better ones out of town. I am a food person (I dislike the word foodie) so we seek out the best food. Drinks can also vary from a couple of euros to as much as you want to pay for wine. Beer is also inexpensive.

So, as you can see, you can eat for as cheaply as 10 euros or you can pay 100 euros if you want. There is also a good morning market in Porec so you can pick up fixings for breakfasts or lunches if you choose to.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May or September

Thanks for your very helpful info. As this will be our first visit to Croatia we are not sure what to expect. Is there English spoken or is it mainly Croation.

We will be staying half board and are wondering what to expect in the way of food.

Cheers

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May or September

English is widely spoken by most people under the age of 40 or so. We frequent lots of tiny villages that see no tourists where we encounter mostly Croatian and still get by, though I am learning the language. I would definitely memorize some key phrases like "please", "thank you", etc. If you want help with this let me know. Others on here know the language better than I.

Where are you staying where you will have half board? Hopefully they offer some of the delicious local food because it would certainly be a pity to miss. It is one of the reasons we love Croatia so much. The food is amazing, especially in Istria. Do you want to know what foods to look for, what to order for dinner, etc.?

Whidbey Is., WA
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: May or September

I'm learning a lot from your posts and would love to hear about the local foods and what dishes to order. I'm a fellow Canadian, and believe this will be one of our better destinations. Who knows, maybe we'll end up buying a place as well!

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
181 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May or September

Can you tell me if there is a lot to see in Porec. Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May or September

as a matter of interest whats the weather like in september

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May or September

Pantherina, you just may be tempted! Foods that are musts are prsut (air-dried ham), local cheeses, Boskarin (Istrian cattle), peka (food slowly roasted under a domed lid that has been heaped with coals), fish and seafood, black cuttlefish risotto, grilled squid, cevapcici (ground meat kebabs), ajvar (a condiment that is used like ketchup - roasted red peppers and eggplant...). Fuzi (homemade pasta) and the most glorious of all - the Istrian white truffle. There are so many things. I will post some links to great sites for you to read about.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May or September

Renato, when are you going? How long do you have? The Euphrasian basilica is a must as is a walk around the old town along the sea. There are a few ruins scattered around town and it is fun to seek them. There is a building near the library (can't think of what it is called at the moment for some weird reason) that is interesting. There are wonderful things in the area to see as well, especially if you rent a car. Most of the fun is just wandering around the town. Don't forget a gelato or two! Porec also has international events such as archery, VinIstria which is a huge wine event, etc. There is also a great food market.

361culsh, the weather is usually very warm in September. If August is any indication it may be very hot. We are actually praying for rain because there is a severe drought in Istria at the moment. People have lost crops, vineyards, lavender fields and olive groves due to it and forest fires.

But of course prepare for anything. I always take a waterproof jacket and sweater for evenings. Sometimes I do not even need my jacket the entire time we are there (and we go in October more often than September).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May or September

Not sure where we will be staying as yet any info on best places to stay would be very helpful. Food sounds interesting and worth a try. Is public transport easily available as we would like to get about a bit?

Cheers

10. Re: May or September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Porec