We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 centre holiday

Dublin
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 centre holiday

I'm planning on going to Dubrovnik with my 15 year old daugher in June/July. Wd like to spend 1 week there and a second week in another area. Any recommendations for a nice beach resort. wd rather not have to use a car so would like to be able to walk to beaches, restaurants etc.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 centre holiday

As you are posting it on Porec forum, I assume you are looking for a nice beach resort close by.

Valamar Luna Active Resort‎-Spadici bb, 52440,

Check TA &

hotel.info/en.hotels/…hotel.aspx

for other hotels

Beaches in general with links:

croatia-beaches.com/family/best_family_beach…

Edited: 12:17 pm, February 19, 2010
UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 centre holiday

I would seriously consider Rovinj, which is close to Porec. Porec is very pleasant town but in my opinion I would much rather stay in Rovinj.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 centre holiday

After Dubrovnik Porec will be very dull place for you (except for visiting Bizantine Basilica which is UNESCO listed site), I agree Rovinj is beautiful and if there is a nice hotel there I would choose Rovinj. From Rovinj please do not forget to visit Groznjan and Motovun, two little stone towns at the hilltops of Istrian forests. Both places are very old and unique of its kind, in a very charming setting, Groznjan known as a cultural centre of young musicians and Motovun for the yearly film festival. Hope you enjoy it!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 centre holiday

Croatian beach resorts are not like those you may have experienced in other European holiday destinations. The resorts tend to be large and have hotels, apartments and camping facilities, this makes the beach area very busy. Around Porec many of the tourists have driven to Croatia from neighbouring countries to camp at the resorts (often called tourist settlements).

There is no such thing as having your own space on the beach as others will crowd around you, they will even move your sunbed (if you have paid for one) when you are in the sea to make more room for themselves and use the shade of the umbrella you have paid for as you cannot move your lounger to keep in the shade. We learned to take a couple of airbeds and spread them and our belongings around us.

Croatian beaches are stoney or are concrete platforms, you will not generally find sandy beaches (there are a couple of exceptions).

We were in Croatia last summer, had a week in Cavtat, near Dubrovnik then a week near Porec. We stayed in a villa inland from Porec and drove to the beach when we wanted, we had a great time there and are going back this summer for 2 weeks. We will spend some time exploring the beautiful countryside and hilltop villages as well as going to the beach.

My advice would be to book a hotel with a private beach that does not have camping facilities, if you do not plan to drive then forget about the 2 centre plan then do some trips to the places that interest you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,050 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 centre holiday

I would say that you should go to Bol on Brac with your 15 yr old daughter. It will be crowded, but most every place you go to will be crowded.

6. Re: 2 centre holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Porec
Recent Conversations