We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

My family and I will be visiting Croatia the end of August. Driving from Zagreb, we were planning to drive to Pula and spend the night there. After taking the day to explore Pula, we were thinking of driving to Plitvice National Park in the late afternoon to spend the night there (we would explore the park the next day before driving to Zadar). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is feasible (I think the drive is about 4-5 hours...is this correct?) - is the drive easy and well marked to drive at night (we are American and only speak/understand English)?

Previously, we were thinking of making a stop in Rijeka for the night before continuing to Plitvice, but we are finding it difficult to find accommodations in Rijeka for a fair price and are now thinking we should just skip Rijeka and drive right to Plitvice.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
43,694 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

Any reason why Pula is a must stop? Makes very little sense to me to drive all the way to Pula for one night and then come back the next day to stop at Plitvice...makes more sense to drive from Zagreb to Zadar with a stop at Plitvice along the way. Or an alternate plan...fly from Zagreb to Pula and then drive towards Zadar from there...that would skip the backtracking.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

I assume when you say you and your family it means 4 or 5 people so maybe the suggestion of flying is not the most economical. What you could do after Pula is stop in Opatija right next to Rijeka, nice 3 star accomodations exist at very reasonable prices just check out the trip advisor hotels for Opatija, Rijeka is more expensive as it has only a few hotels more intended for the business traveller. Then the next morning it about a 3 hour drive to Plitvice leave at say 9 get there aít noon and an entire afternoon at the park is fine. I know great accomodations just before the park many 3 star lodges around 40 Euro for double rooms but some have 4 and 5 bedded large rooms too!!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

you're ok with your trip from Pula to Plitvice, by car. on google maps, check the 'get directions', and you'll get 3 options. the longest one is actually the easiest one, i.e. by highway to Karlovac, and then on two-lane road to Plitvice. the shortest one (E751) has the most difficult roads (without proper traffic signs and directions...), as does the one marked as the fastest one.

I prefer the one through Karlovac, and you can simply take the exit to Karlovac (there is a sign for 'Plitvička jezera', which is Croatian for Plitvice Lakes), and without making any turns all the way to Plitvice, when you exit the toll booths, you'll be on a highway road through Karlovac until the road becomes a two-lane road on the city's periphery, and simply continue driving straight.

people usually speak English, or will be helpful when you ask them for Plitvice.

NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

HI there - thank you for your reply. In our research, we have seen the many Roman ruins in Pula (oldest amphitheater) and other things of historic interest, which is typically what we like to do on vacation....yes, see the beautiful surroundings, but also those "out of the way places" with interesting sights. :-) I have found the flying, although time-saving, to be cost prohibitive for 5 adults.

NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

Thank you - yes, that was our original plan, but it was difficult to find the accommodations. I will have to look into staying in Opatija next....thank you for that advice! :-) I did look for places to stay around Plitvice, but didn't see anything for 5 adults, but maybe I was only looking at rental properties for the night and not hotels....I will have to check that out too! :-)

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

here's a list for more accommodation in Plitvice:

np-plitvicka-jezera.hr/hr/…

or you can contact the Rakovica tourist board to help you with your accommodation at

http://rakovica-touristinfo.hr/en/

btw, Zagreb-Pula is highway, some 2.5hrs.

Pula is definitely worth a visit, particularly if you have interest in the old Roman remnants. The Pula amphitheatre is one of a few still standing ones in the world, it is well preserved, and its particularity is that it was built on a natural slope and with the staircase built into the perimeter wall (unlike the earlier amphitheatres with wooden staircases within the auditorium). worth visiting is also the forum, its Augustus temple, but also the Austrian-Hungarian food market, with lovely cast iron structure. unlike the usual ancient Roman cities with perpendicular streets, here the town was built following the topography, which is why the ancient Roman center was actually laid along a curved street between the Sergi Gate and the Forum.

for more info on Pula, check:

http://www.pulainfo.hr/en/

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
43,694 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

There are also good Roman ruins at Solin near Split if you venture that far down.

Edited: 5:34 pm, June 03, 2013
8. Re: Driving from Pula to Plitvice in the evening - feasible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 05, 2014