My wife and I will be visiting Plitvice National Park this July. We are going to arrive on a Tuesday around midday and leave early Thursday morning. I am trying to plan an itinerary for our 1.5 days there.
Some information about us:
1) We love hiking and are very fit. We don't mind rocky/steep trails or hiking long distances.
2) We enjoy getting away from the crowds whenever possible.
3) We'd like to see as much of the park as possible.
Some specific questions I have are:
1.Is there a network of hiking trails that accesses the lakes/waterfalls that would be less crowded than the very popular boardwalks and or bus/boat tours?
2. Is is possible to drive to the park early in the morning and enter the park on foot before it opens? I saw this discussed somewhere. I think this might be a nice option to see some of the more popular sights before they get too crowded.
3. What are the must see parts of the park or tours that are worth doing even if very crowded?
Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.